A quick review

zeroy

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Likes
2
Location
Louth, Ireland
#1
As I posted on MU today...

So I was kindly gifted the game last night on my return from work, nice surprise! I struggled until 3am trying various settings, updating drivers and so on but could not fix the low FPS and audio + mouse issues I was getting (mostly MP) - SP was - still is not playable on my rig (see below). Tonight I rooted in the Bios a little (something I had never done before on that mobo) and also removed a lot of unwanted crap on my Windows 7 64bits. Tweaked settings in MP again and I can finally play at a steady 60 FPS in 80% MP Levels - the other 20% which is probably 3-4 maps are just too open / large and FPS really fluctuate too much to play.

Sadly with the settings like I have them now i get no AA, no AO and the game doesnt look great - BO2 in comparison I can run almost everything on Max and still get a steady 60fps in most maps.

The game itself, MP, well its COD the way we know it since MW2, fast paced, die very quickly but its quite fun. Im still not into all that perk/streak jazz, it just distract me while i play so i dont bother using any :p - The SP, the bit I've played was ok, again text book COD SP campaign, same pitfall with AI that keep spawning until you move or do something and the ever annoying "PRESS X" in cinematic piece. But Im sure to enjoy the few hours of it once the performance issues are sorted.

On the P2P/Matchmaking or whatever.. a lot of issues last night but all ok today, very fast to get in the most popular game mode (TDM, DM, DOM) but impossible in Ground war or some other one less popular...

A note on the level design and engine in general, MP & SP, despite the gfx issues right now I can see that a lot of effort went into creating believable environment, I quite like the washout out gray-sand like colors overall too although I'd like to see some richer colors at times.

Do I recommend it? You know what CODs are like since MW2, this is more of the same with new maps, weapons and perks a gogo ;)

My Rig:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits
Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz
16Gb DDR3
NVidia GTX560ti with latest 331.65 drivers
SSD Corsair 120GB

Few shots on almost max settings in SP last night (was hardly playable but nice to look at!)

http://www.zeroy.com/br/other/codghosts/sp/
 

rudedog

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 23, 2002
Likes
12
#2
Thanks for the honest review Zeroy.

How much video ram do you have on that card? I wonder if that could be your problem?
 

zeroy

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Likes
2
Location
Louth, Ireland
#3
Thanks for the honest review Zeroy.

How much video ram do you have on that card? I wonder if that could be your problem?
Its a 1GB card afaik. Honestly, if that is the problem I just wont play the game a minute more. My 560ti is more than adequate for any recent game including BF4 on medium-high settigns and what I am seeing on screen right now with Ghost wouldnt justify the need for more power.

Only guess is, the engine is poorly optimized!
 

Pendragon

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Likes
10
Location
St.Austell Cornwall, UK
#4
Must be badly optimised as there are people with SLi Titans complaining about poor performance! FPS drops to 40 on some maps! Black Ops 2 on my Crossfire 7970 rig ran maxed out at 200 fps all the time. Just smacking into the internal limit of the game and never budging from it. What amazes me is that it doesn't look any better, same crappy textures.

Oh well let's see if it ever gets in to a Steam sale to make buying it to play the single player, in maybe 3 years time.
 

zeroy

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Likes
2
Location
Louth, Ireland
#8
granted he is maxing out his settings but start reading around post 90
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1784947&page=5

Looks like it like eating vRAM for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Those posts are extremely surprising! Although this is for SP mostly. I say this because the main complaint for MP is that textures look terrible, even on Extra on high cards. Here is a shot on extra with a GTX770 (2GB I think but might be 4Gb!)

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/468666426111669447/BF39CB798E36CD3FC8450E141A3738417D46BB94/
 

woowoo

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Likes
4
Location
SE US
#9
The chatter I hear is it runs fine on Xbox but problems on PC and Playstation. Sounds like a poor port to me.
 
Top Bottom