Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Call of Duty > Call of Duty 4 > CoD4 General server support

Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Hellsonix is on a distinguished road
Setting up PB_RCON on your server

Why should you bother setting up /PB_RCON on your COD Gameserver?
Read on!

There are several ways to kick a nuisance player from the server.

1> Vote kick (this is disabled on most servers due to a previous exploit with hackers).
2> PB Power vote (you can use this system on ANY PunkBuster enabled server).
3> Direct kick/temp ban command (requires /RCON or /PB_RCON access).

How?

1> Standard Public Voting;

Press escape and if voting option is not greyed out select the vote option.
However this is usually VERY temporary and as mentioned it can also be used against the server Admin so it IS best to disable it.

How to disable standard public voting method [RECOMMENDED!] (ftp access required):

Insert these into your servers config.cfg file, save, upload and restart:

Code:
set g_allowvote "0"
set scr_allow_vote "0"
2> PB Power Voting;

A lot of players don't even know about this, but you can still vote players off even when voting is turned off.
There is no guarantee that they will get kicked but this is also down to how knowledgable the other players on the server are aswell.
Just like standard public voting, if noone else votes nothing happens (unless you have set up a PB POWER SYSTEM as described in option 3 below).

It requires you to type 2 commands into the console;

The first command is to get the SLOT NUMBER of the player you want to vote kick;
Code:
/pb_plist
This will list in blue all the current players on the server (you will probably have to maximise the console to see the text as public chat spam will make it scroll off screen).

The second command is the kick vote itself (replace slotnumber with number aquired from the first command);
Code:
/pb_kick slotnumber
Now you have to encourage everyone to "/pb_kick slotnumber".
If the required amount of kick votes are cast (this can be lowered - see below), the player will be kicked for the specified duration.

I think the default vote amount required to kick someone with this method is 10..which IMO is too many votes needed as most players just don't give a damn enough to type in a command.
On our server I reduced this to 5 with further steps to make it easier to kick annoying players.

Here are the settings to tweak this method for your server (these are located in your cod4/pb/pbsv.cfg file);

Code:
pb_sv_PowerMin 5 //This is the amount of votes needed to get someone kicked off the server.
pb_sv_PowerDef 1 //This is the default vote points each public player gets (do not change this).
pb_sv_PowerKickLen 10 //This is the amount of time they are kicked for in minutes (default=5)]
Edit, save, upload and restart (/pb_sv_restart) for changes to take effect!

3> Server PBRCON setup;

This is the safest method to have setup for server Admins and also means you can assign a little power to your clan members so theres always someone on who has kicking (or map/game mode changing) power.

**The PB POWER system is built into PunkBuster and is designed so you can give more authority and control to certain players on your server without giving out your servers /RCON Admin password or needing to setup seperate RCON clients etc.

First there are some additional steps you will have to setup in your server config.cfg file;

3.1> Setup a /rcon password (located in cod4/main/config.cfg file);
Code:
// Password Settings
set rcon_password "YourPassword"
To login with the server you will need to type this command into console:
Code:
/rcon login password
There is no successful RCON login confirmation but if you do not enter the RCON password (or enter it incorrectly) and attempt to use server commands you will see a console messsage such as 'incorrect password/login'.

Restart Punkbuster (/pb_sv_restart) after making changes to your Punkbuster system for them to take effect properly.
In some cases a Server Restart (via your GSP control panel or ask your GSP support to do it) may be required if the changes do not take effect.

Do not give this password out to anyone except trusted clan members who you assign to be server admins, actually you don't even need to give them this password as we'll be assigning them some Admin power anyway.

!!!!TAKE NOTE that you can type the password into chat by mistake if not careful!!!(VERY BAD)
!!!!This is why we are setting up PBRCON access!!!!!
Then Power Players may use PB_RCON commands that have been setup without entering or knowing the /RCON password.

NOTE: If you are typing commands into CONSOLE ingame, remember to add a / BEFORE ANY COMMAND (/pb_sv_powerguid).
When entering commands into a CONFIG file, you do not need to add the / at start of commands, in fact a double // at the start of a line tells the system to ignore that line (used for notes).

3.2> Create an empty file called pbpower (save as .dat not .txt) and upload it to your cod4/pb directory.

3.3> Create a file called powerguid (save as .cfg not .txt) and add the following code to it;

Code:
//****************************
//PB POWER CONFIG SETUP v2 (2010)
//****************************

//Squad Members
//***************
//
pb_sv_task 1 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 99 "[tags]name"
pb_sv_task 2 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 99 "[tags]name"
pb_sv_task 3 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 50 "[tags]name"
pb_sv_task 4 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 50 "[tags]name"
pb_sv_task 5 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 50 "[tags]name"
pb_sv_task 6 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 50 "[tags]name
pb_sv_task 7 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 50 "[tags]name"

//Trial Recruits
//*****************
//
//pb_sv_task 0 0 pb_sv_powerguid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10 "[tags]name"

//Squad Guests
//***************
//None yet...

//Confirmation message
//Always add this task as the last task. 
//In this case you will see the confirmation 9 seconds (9th task) after you initiate the config.
pb_sv_task 9 00 say ^1PBPOWER SETUP!

3.4>
Replace the 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' parts with your clan members GUIDS (/pb_myguid).

3.5> Replace the 99 or 50 with the amount of power you wish to give that player.
I recommend giving regular clan members 50, trustable Junior Server Admins 75 and the main trustable Admins 99 (don't give anyone 100).

3.6> Replace "[tags]name" with your members name (quotes must remain, tags are optional).
Example "[X!N]hellsonix"
or "hellsonix"

Both of the above are fine (as long as they are within quotes), they are mainly just a reference for the GUID provided which is what is checked.
A whole line will look like:
Code:
pb_sv_powerguid 123456789010111213141516 99 "[X!N]hellsonix"
3.7> Edit, save, upload (cod4/main directory).
3.8> Now execute the file using;

Code:
/rcon login password
This is just to login if you are not already logged in.

Code:
/rcon exec powerguid
You should see a 'PB POWER SETUP!' confirmation in chat (if you copied the above example it will appear onscreen 9 seconds after you execute the config).

3.9> Always Restart Punkbuster (/pb_sv_restart) for new changes to take effect!

To check wether the changes have taken effect or not you need to have the players you just gave power to actually present on the server.

However first we need to EXPAND THE CONSOLE to see all the relevant info.
Do this by holding SHIFT and pressing the CONSOLE key.
Now use the PAGE DOWN key until you reach the end of the server/console message spam.

Now type the following command:

Code:
/pb_power
What you should see is:

In the image above, my self assigned power status is 99 whereas a normal player will have the default value of 1 (or whatever value you assigned the default value (via /pb_sv_PowerDef 1 )..usually best left at 1 though).

If all is well and you see the power value you assigned appearing correctly, move on to Step 4.
Else you may want to try a Punkbuster restart and failing that a server restart (via your GSP control panel or you may have to ask your GSP support to do it).

4> Now the permissions are setup, you just need to define which commands can be used by which power levels;

This is only an explanation of adding commands individually which is a longer process than batch adding commands via a config file.
Skip to step 4.1 if you don't want to install the commands individually.

NOTE: You can add these at any time via the console using;

Code:
/rcon pb_sv_rcon xx [command]
Replace xx with the power level required to use the [command] you want.

Example:
Code:
/rcon pb_sv_rcon 50 map_restart
This gives all players with 50 power points level (AND HIGHER) the ability to use the command:
Code:
/PB_RCON map_restart
No login required, the system recognises each player by their GUID and how much power they have.

4.1>
Here we are going to use a method that will add a batch of commands simultaneously rather than having to add each one seperately.
This is good to have backed up and should you reset or reinstall your game server and have to setup again, you already have a quick way of adding a batch of server commands ready to go.
Obviously add or edit whichever commands you wish to use to your liking from the ones provideed below.

Create a file called pbrcon (save as .dat not .txt) then save & upload it to your cod4/pb directory.

4.2> Create a file called commands (save as .cfg not .txt) & Add the following lines to it;

Code:
//*************************
//PB_RCON Commands Setup v2

pb_sv_task 01 00 pb_sv_rcon 50 map_restart
pb_sv_task 02 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 fast_restart
pb_sv_task 03 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 g_gametype
pb_sv_task 04 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 pb_sv_banguid
pb_sv_task 05 00 pb_sv_rcon 50 exec
pb_sv_task 06 00 pb_sv_rcon 99 pb_sv_powerguid 
pb_sv_task 07 00 pb_sv_rcon 99 pb_sv_rcon
pb_sv_task 08 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 pb_sv_
pb_sv_task 09 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 pb_sv_kick
pb_sv_task 10 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 map
pb_sv_task 11 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 map_rotate
//**************************
// Commands configured confirmation message
// If you add more commands to this list
// make sure to change the last task line time
// from 12 to the last number on the list! This is to avoid task conflicts.
// (example: if you have 20 commands then 12 should be 21 instead)
pb_sv_task 12 00 say ^0COMMANDS CONFIGURED!
NOTE: If you are typing commands into CONSOLE ingame, remember to add a / BEFORE ANY COMMAND (/pb_sv_powerguid).
When entering commands into a CONFIG file, you do not need to add the / at start of commands, in fact a double // at the start of a line tells the system to ignore that line (used for notes).

4.3> Save & upload to your cod4/main directory then execute using;
Code:
/rcon login password
This is to login if not already logged in.

Code:
/rcon exec commands
(after 11 seconds because there are 11 commands to be added) you should see a 'COMMANDS SETUP!' confirmation in chat.

5> Finally restart PunkBuster (/pb_sv_restart) and you should be set to go!
*Once again though, if your changes fail to appear you may want to restart your server via your GSP control panel or ask your GSP support to do it.

JUST REMEMBER:
To use the power commands system without logging in you MUST use;
Code:
/PB_RCON [command]
Example:
Code:
/PB_RCON map_rotate
Heres to safer servers!

Last edited by Hellsonix; 03-18-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 AM

fox616 is on a distinguished road
Hey i use clanforge/multiplay to host my servers and with cod4 i have tryed to set this up but for some reason it doesnt work... i think i know what the problem is, it doesnt allow me to upload the .dat files. is that what it causeing my problems cause other than that everything is corect/just as you have it but with the obvious changes. i have put my 32 characters in length key in as well and set me to 99

but when i type in console /pb_power i come up as with 1 or 0 cant remember, but thats beside the point. i have exec the powerguid and commands cfg's and they come up saying loaded, then restarted pb. checked the pb_power again and i am still 1 or 0...

could you help me please.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Troubleshooting...

1>Did you try restarting your server?
NOTE: Restarting is not the same as Resetting your server - do NOT wipe your server, just restart it.
Most Game Server Providers provide a means of restarting your server remotely via a control panel. (@Gameservers.com you have a 'restart server' button accessible from your browser).
Sometimes (I'm not sure why) it fails to update the Power status until you restart your game server.
Try that first.

If that fails;

2> Download your pbpower.dat file from your server via ftp and have a look at it.
Does it have the guids you have set up?
Does it look different to the examples provided?
If it has the same name twice for example on 2 different lines, delete one of them,save , reupload and /pb_sv_restart.

2.1> Check to make sure your pbpower.dat is actually a .dat file and not pbpower.dat.txt file.
it wont work unless its a pbpower.dat file.
The best way to make sure you save it as .dat is to click FILE > SAVE AS > SAVE AS TYPE (change from Text Documents to ALL FILES) > enter filename adding .dat or .cfg extension > CLICK SAVE > UPLOAD

If that fails;

3> Manually enter the Powerguid commands as theres no point trying the time saving way if it hasn't worked for you so far. If you have prepared all the guids to be added into a config, the rest is easy anyway.

3.1> Copy the GUID you want to add from the config (ctrl+c), open the console ingame (on your server), log in (/rcon login yourpassword).

3.2> Type (ignoring <> and leaving 1 space between all inputs):
/rcon pb_sv_powerguid <paste_guid> <xx> <name>

3.3> Restart Punkbuster:
/pb_sv_restart
Now check wether the status has been applied or not.
If this worked repeat steps 3.1 to 3.2 fo all GUIDs and then restart Punkbuster.

Last edited by Hellsonix; 06-29-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 AM

Duckz is on a distinguished road
Very nice tutorial. I'm in the process of setting this up on my clans server, thanks.

A couple of questions for you though.

1) When setting the power level of the commands, if I set map_rotate to 50, does that mean JUST level 50 is able to set that, or level 50 and above?

2) I have multiple fs_game folders running different mods, so there are a lot of config files. I was thinking of putting powerguid.cfg and commands.cfg in cod4\pb and adding a exec at the bottom of pbsv.cfg for both of those files. Would that work? That way, I don't need to add an exec for both files in all of my server.cfg files.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 02:48 AM

Duckz is on a distinguished road
LOL, I'll answer my own questions.

1) 50 and above.
2) I've put commands.cfg and powerguid.cfg into cod4\pb, added pb_sv_load commands.cfg and pb_sv_load powerguid.cfg to the bottom of pbsv.cfg, and then added exec pbsv.cfg to the bottom of my configs, and all is working fine.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM

@Duck
Quote:
I've put commands.cfg and powerguid.cfg into cod4\pb, added pb_sv_load commands.cfg and pb_sv_load powerguid.cfg to the bottom of pbsv.cfg, and then added exec pbsv.cfg to the bottom of my configs, and all is working fine.
Yeah it will work, but really you don't need (or want) to add your members powerguids EVERYTIME you restart Punkbuster.
That batch method is only meant to be used once to get all the GUIDS loaded up at once.
As long as that worked (check your pbpower.dat to see if they are all added) then you don't need to load powerguid.cfg batch config ever again (till your next reinstall or whatever). Just comment it out from your pbsv.cfg if thats where you added the pb_sv_load command to.

The same thing goes for the batch commands.cfg config.
You only need to execute it once and as long as it worked (check rcon.dat file to see if commands have been added successfully) then you don't ever need to load it up again.

You probably should open up the files I mentioned and get rid of the duplicate guids and commands added by multiple pb_sv_restarts as this may cause lag.

Last edited by Hellsonix; 06-29-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 PM

cseverson is on a distinguished road
ok so if a server gets reset it undoes everything. do i just upload the files again for it to work again?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM

Oops, you were meant to RESTART the server not RESET it.
Nevermind, just reinstall / upload / whatever you did initially before.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:03 AM

yeah i meant restart, and okay, i should just upload the stuff again
Old 07-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Riley_13 is on a distinguished road
hey! first post here lol anyway!
when i exec the powerguid config it says in console "Unknown Command pb_sv_powerguid"
what to do??

P.S.
great tut
Class Dismiss
Old 07-25-2009, 04:06 AM

did you do
Code:
/rcon login
to log into rcon?

and if you have the command is
Code:
/rcon exec powerguid
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 AM

Riley_13 is on a distinguished road
yes i did all the steps.. the problem is unknown command pb_sv_powerguid
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley_13 View Post
yes i did all the steps.. the problem is unknown command pb_sv_powerguid
Do you have Punkbuster turned on or not?

This will not work without Punkbuster on.

In your server config make sure you have:

Code:
pb_sv_enable
wait 5
set sv_punkbuster "1"
Other than that I can't think what else it could be, try that and let us know.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 AM

xomenx is on a distinguished road
ok so i've figured out how to do everything except the commands.cfg file (after a few hours of tweaking, uploading, restarting...repeat process)

i have myself set to 99 power points...here is a copy of my commands.cfg file:

//PB_RCON Commands Setup
pb_sv_task 05 00 say ^0COMMANDS CONFIGURED!
pb_sv_rcon 25 map_restart
pb_sv_rcon 25 fast_restart
pb_sv_rcon 25 map_rotate
pb_sv_rcon 50 map
pb_sv_rcon 50 pb_sv_kick
pb_sv_rcon 75 pb_sv_ban

i have went into the server and did /rcon exec commands

the console came up with the COMMANDS CONFIGURED, so i know the file was ran

i then restarted punkbuster and saw this confirmed at the bottom of my console

the question is...can anyone explain to me why when i go in the server and type /pb_rcon map_rotate it doesn't rotate the map, and if i type in /pb_rcon map mp_shipment it doesn't change the map to shipment

also the /pb_rcon pb_sv_kick command doesn't work either...haven't tried the ban one as i was the only one in the server and didn't feel like banning myself

however, the /pb_rcon fast_restart and /pb_rcon map_restart both DO WORK

if someone can help with this that'd be fantastic cuz it makes no sense to me why 2 of the 6 commands i have put there work and am not sure what else to try....especially since i'm set to 99 power points so i cover any of the amounts required to execute any of those commands

- XOmenX
Old 08-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomenx View Post
ok so i've figured out how to do everything except the commands.cfg file (after a few hours of tweaking, uploading, restarting...repeat process)

i have myself set to 99 power points...here is a copy of my commands.cfg file:

//PB_RCON Commands Setup
pb_sv_task 05 00 say ^0COMMANDS CONFIGURED!
pb_sv_rcon 25 map_restart
pb_sv_rcon 25 fast_restart
pb_sv_rcon 25 map_rotate
pb_sv_rcon 50 map
pb_sv_rcon 50 pb_sv_kick
pb_sv_rcon 75 pb_sv_ban

i have went into the server and did /rcon exec commands

the console came up with the COMMANDS CONFIGURED, so i know the file was ran

i then restarted punkbuster and saw this confirmed at the bottom of my console

the question is...can anyone explain to me why when i go in the server and type /pb_rcon map_rotate it doesn't rotate the map, and if i type in /pb_rcon map mp_shipment it doesn't change the map to shipment

also the /pb_rcon pb_sv_kick command doesn't work either...haven't tried the ban one as i was the only one in the server and didn't feel like banning myself

however, the /pb_rcon fast_restart and /pb_rcon map_restart both DO WORK

if someone can help with this that'd be fantastic cuz it makes no sense to me why 2 of the 6 commands i have put there work and am not sure what else to try....especially since i'm set to 99 power points so i cover any of the amounts required to execute any of those commands

- XOmenX
Hi, I wrote this guide.
Sometimes I had this same problem where only a few of the commands were added from the batch commands config file.
The only explanation I can think of (for why it sometimes doesn't add all the commands) is that the batch commands config file needs a pause between each added pb_sv_rcon input otherwise it tries to add them all at once and so some are not added at all. Thats my explanation, I could be wrong but from experience I have later managed to add commands so the problem I think is the batch file (PB_RCON Commands Setup).

First did you run through the Troubleshooting Guide Part 1 HERE....
If you did, and still need help read on..

Troubleshooting Guide Part 2

Theres 2 ways to try and fix the problem of the batch commands config not adding all the commands properly, I no longer run a dedicated server so I cannot try myself but I'm pretty sure this will work for you.

FIX 1:

1> Change the 'PB_Rcon Commands Setup' config file to the following (replace):

2> Save as commands.cfg and upload to server, restart pb (pb_sv_restart) etc then exec the command.

Code:
//PB_RCON Commands Setup v2

pb_sv_task 01 00 pb_sv_rcon 25 map_restart
pb_sv_task 02 00 pb_sv_rcon 25 fast_restart
pb_sv_task 03 00 pb_sv_rcon 25 map_rotate
pb_sv_task 04 00 pb_sv_rcon 50 map
pb_sv_task 05 00 pb_sv_rcon 50 pb_sv_kick
pb_sv_task 06 00 pb_sv_rcon 75 pb_sv_ban
// Commands configured confirmation message
// If you add more commands to this list
// make sure to change the last task line time
// from 07 to the last number on the list! This is to avoid task conflicts.
// (example: if you have 12 commands then 07 should be 13 instead)
pb_sv_task 07 00 say ^0COMMANDS CONFIGURED!
Now check your rcon.dat file to see if they have been added.

If that doesn't work, try adding them manually as described in the next bit.

FIX 2:

I already mentioned trying a SERVER restart (Note: NOT a server reset - DO NOT WIPE YOUR SERVER!) but not everyone has access to do this apparently.
Once server is restarted exec the file again and check to see if commands have been added.
If you have already tried that or cannot then try this:

Add the commands manually.
(see STEP 4 of the original post in this thread)

If you have followed the steps in the guide correctly, you should have your pbrcon file setup anyway on your server and all you need to do is add the commands individually:

1> make sure you are logged into your game server

/rcon login [yourpassword]

2> enter the commands individually into the game console

/rcon pb_sv_rcon xx [command]

3> check they are on the list

/rcon pb_sv_rlist

The second should definitely work, let us know if the first fix works too!
Good Luck.

Last edited by Hellsonix; 08-16-2009 at 02:11 PM.