Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 02-04-2018, 10:51 PM

Frag is on a distinguished road
Hell Let Loose January Update

It's been 3 months since the conclusion of our crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter and we’re excited to report that development is at full speed across every department in an effort to bring to life the full vision we described in our campaign. Below you'll find updates on every aspect of the game, the community and some examples of development progress.

Last edited by Pendragon; 02-07-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
Hell Let Loose - Jan. Update

Thanks to Frag for the post

It's been 3 months since the conclusion of our crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter and we’re excited to report that development is at full speed across every department in an effort to bring to life the full vision we described in our campaign. Below you'll find updates on every aspect of the game, the community and some examples of development progress.

More info Official Hell Let Loose web site and source Kickstarter

Frag's post (sorry can't edit the black text for some reason) Highlight text on post to read.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows
Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
For some reason I can't update the first post. May be time to upgrade the forums

Update 7 via the web (could not find this on their site last night)

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows
Old 02-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
Although Battalion 1944 is a fun close quarters traditional shoot this game looks like something I could really get me teeth into. Larger maps, tactical squad play is more to my tastes plus the WWII setting and weapons makes this a game I'm really looking forward to sinking some hours into.

https://t.me/PendragonUK
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
[Forum Moderation]
The rest of the original post

Immediately after the conclusion of the Kickstarter, we began overhauling our character models to create a standardized system to raise the quality and match them to all other aspects of the title. Our Kickstarter campaign media made use of some early models that were both inaccurate historically, but also visually lacking due to early workflow issues.

Fortunately, we've been able to create a workflow that has allowed us to greatly increase the visual quality of the models, while also staying within our technical budget. By using beautifully photo-scanned faces, we've worked with our brilliant character artist and several deeply knowledgeable historical advisers to overhaul the uniforms into their later-war manifestations.

While the Officer and Rifleman characters are complete for both forces, we will continue to create different uniform and equipment combinations for each role, as well as slowly start to diversify and create new units and army branches. This is not a process that will end, as there will always be another uniform, role, unit, branch or nation to implement.
While beautiful renders are one thing, seeing them in-engine and in-game is another:
All full-body character animations as seen in our early gameplay videos have been entirely overhauled and implemented alongside our new character models. By far, this has been the largest amount of work we've had to overhaul. It can take a long time to make sure that everything is performing as it should, and that it appears as fluid as possible. While we're happy with what we have now, it will take some more time to iron out every smaller bug as we encounter them.
Our key focus with vehicles it to implement the trucks and other wheeled vehicles. The reason for this is simple - they underpin the supply metagame, and are a key resource in transporting units around the map. All vehicles will have a working gear system, suspension and physics properties that match their real-life equivalents. Our philosophy in all things is to begin using reality as the base, and then to push the design more towards "fun" wherever we feel players will struggle. In light of this, we've altered the horsepower and handling of some of the vehicles. We want you to focus on choosing clever routes, prioritising supply drops and clever driving techniques - not to feel chore-laden and bored.

In addition, we're now applying small props and other details to all our vehicle models. It's important to give them a lived-in feeling so commonly seen in archival photographs. For many men, these vehicles were home for months - if not years!
With the completion of the StG 44 model, we have nearly the full complement of US and German weaponry. Now begins the process of finishing animations, fixing bugs, implementing weapon-specific programming (deploying machine guns), sound design, muzzle flash design, additional FX (overheating barrel smoke) and gameplay balance (recoil patterns and damage). All of these steps need to be done for every weapon, and we find ourselves with the great problem of having many to choose from!

For our Early Access release, we're aiming to include:

US Forces
  • M1 Garand
  • M1 Carbine
  • Thompson
  • BAR
  • M1919 Browning
  • M1903 Springfield
  • Colt 1911
  • Mk2 Fragmentation Grenade
  • M18 Smoke Grenade
  • M1A1 Mine
  • M2 AP Mine
  • Bazooka
  • M3 Fighting Knife

German Forces
  • Karabiner 98k
  • Gewehr 43
  • MP 40
  • StG 44
  • MG 42
  • Karabiner 98k with 8x Zielacht Scope
  • Luger
  • M43 Stick Grenade
  • M39 Smoke Grenade
  • Tellermine 43
  • S-Mine 35
  • Panzershrecht
  • Feldspaten

As per every other aspect of the title, we will continue to introduce new weapons for both the US and German forces, as well as others forces down the line.
We have recently added two new roles - the Automatic Rifleman and the Flamethrower - to the line-up, but will most likely add several more as development progresses. The idea is to create a large selection of different player experiences that are not only historically accurate, but also allow you to create the right Platoon composition for a particular task.

Currently, we are aiming to include the following roles for the Early Access:

Officer
The Officer role works currently as intended for all spawn deployment mechanics and initial loadout. The current aspects that are not yet complete are Officer-specific map markers and smoke grenades.

Rifleman
The Rifleman role is largely complete, with the primary weapon and grenades all working.

Medic
The pistols for both teams are almost complete. The medic system is underway, with bandaging working for all roles. The morphine model for the US is complete (with the German one underway). The bandage model is complete. We will need to tie in animations for both, but functionally they are almost ready pending bug testing. Smoke grenades are not yet complete though. Role-specific character model is not yet complete.

Automatic Rifleman
The BAR is complete, however we are yet to animate and introduce the StG 44 for the Germans. Role-specific character model is not yet complete.

Machine Gunner
Both machine guns are in and working, however we’re yet to finish the deployment mechanic and the overheat/barrel change mechanics. We also need to add layers of complexity to the FX to introduce lingering barrel smokes as the weapons heats up after sustained fire.
Role-specific character model is not yet complete.

Anti-Tank
Both rocket launcher models are complete and the animations are underway. However, the projectile model is not yet done, nor is the exact damage model for vehicles. Role-specific character model is not yet complete.

Sniper
Both sniper rifles are complete with animations. The last piece of the puzzle is to introduce the proper zoom and scope overlay. This won’t take long at all, but it is something lower on our priority list due to the rarity of the sniper role. Role-specific character model is not yet complete.

Spotter
The spotter functions largely as an Officer, and so is almost feature complete. We are keen to introduce some unique abilities to the role further down the roadmap. Role-specific character model is not yet complete.

Assault
The assault is almost complete - only lacking a role-specific character model.

https://t.me/PendragonUK
Old 02-07-2018, 02:32 PM

You're welcome. Sorry about the quality. I copied and pasted it from the email I got from them. Good to hear they are still plugging away on it though as I am looking forward to this one.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Although Battalion 1944 is a fun close quarters traditional shoot this game looks like something I could really get me teeth into. Larger maps, tactical squad play is more to my tastes plus the WWII setting and weapons makes this a game I'm really looking forward to sinking some hours into.

I agree with you on this one Pen! I like this style too and hopefully it is released and plays how it looks unlike Battalion did which I suspect had something to do with them bringing Square Enix in as the publisher.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 PM

soulz2003 is on a distinguished road
This is essentially WW2 Squad. .