Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Call of Duty > Call of Duty World at War > CoD:WW general discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 AM

U-z-i Kidding is on a distinguished road
CoD:WW Troubleshooter FaQ - For Clients

Below is a list of known fixes for CoD:World at War

This list will be updated as and when the appropriate information is released! Please note there is no guarantee these fixes will work for everybody.

Does my computer support CoD:WW?

For those of you unsure as to whether you can run CoD:WW use this link to scan your computer.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

a. Open the drop down box and select Call of Duty World at War
b. Allow the active x control to be installed
c. Wait for your results

1. Error d3dx9_37.dll is missing
This can happen trying to launch the CoD:WW beta.

a. Update your DirectX 9.0
b. Download the d3dx9_37.dll file and extract the d3dx9_37.dll into “C:\WINDOWS\system32″
c. Download and install the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" (the file is called dxwebsetup)
d. Try connecting to the game again and if you still receive the error try the next step
e. Download and extract the "DirectX Redistributable 9.0c (August 2008)" to “C:\WINDOWS\system32″

1. Error d3dx10_37.dll is missing

VISTA Users
a. Follow steps a-d above
b. Download the d3dx10_37.dll and extract the d3dx10_37.dll into “C:\WINDOWS\system32″

2. Black Screen
This can happen trying to launch the CoD:WW beta, or while loading map/s.

a. First! Make sure your gfx card supports shader3 (run the active x test at beginning of this post)
b. Make sure ALL drivers are updated. “Includes: Soundcard, Audio Drivers, Videocard”
c. Wait several minutes as it can take a long time to load

VISTA Users
Some issues were reported that found the install of the beta was overwriting system installed audio drivers. To fix black screen issues and system crashes (especially Vista 64 bit)

a. First! Find the exact same audio driver you are running from your manufacturer and download
b. Uninstall your audio driver goto My Computer > Manage > Device Manager and expand the (+) symbol next to Sound and video game controllers
c. Right click on your audio device and select "Uninstall"
d. Reboot
e. Install the clean driver you downloaded and try connecting to the game

Please read Item 8 which also references the black screen issue should the above not fix your problem!

3. Unhandled Exception Error
This error is also given if you are missing the directx redistributable. If you have installed that file and the issue is still not solved try the following:

VISTA:
a. Goto - Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Speakers > Properties > Advanced Tab
change the “Default Format” to 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)

XP/SP3
a. Goto - My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Sound, vid/game Controllers > UNIMODEM Half Duplex Audio Device > DISABLE

4. Error Creating Online Profile

When trying to create a profile for the first time, there is a slight chance the OS will not auto-prompt you to unblock CoDWaW.exe and CoDWaWmp.exe from the firewall block list. You will know this is the case because every time you try to create a name, it will fail, giving you the message that you need to create a name.

a. If your computer prompts you click "Unblock"
b. If not go into your Control Panel and choose Windows Firewall
c. On the left menu click "Allow A Program Through Windows Firewall"
d. If the games SP and MP are not in the list click "Add" and locate the exes in the directory you installed the game too
e. Save changes and attempt to create an account again

If you are still having problems and the firewall has been setup to allow the connection then try

a. Restarting your computer
b. Make sure you are running the game with an "Administrator" account
c. If you are not uninstall/reinstall the game (removing old profiles, files, before reinstalling etc.)

5. Error Connecting to Online Servers
This is after it verifies your user “online player profile”

a. Restart game (if it still fails try step b.)
b. Restart comp and try again
c. Uninstall/Reinstall - Make sure you uninstall EVERYTHING including profiles

6. Server Authentication Failure

a. Refresh the server list
b. Try reloading your online profile “named player”
c. Restart game

7. Sound Fix

a. Goto Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > speakers > Advanced tab / Set the default format to “24 Bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)”
b. If you have Creative SB X-Fi you need to install the the latest drivers (link at bottom)

8. Video Files Not Loading On Introduction - Application Hangs
Some users are having issues loading the game, it starts up but hangs on a black screen. Sometimes it can take a while for the introduction video to load up so give it a good 5 mins (this will seem like half an hour). If not

a. Locate the WW "Main" folder go to the location you installed the game too and click Program Files > Activision > Call of Duty World at War > Main
b. Open the "Video" folder and locate the file named "Treyarch.bik"
c. Right click on this file and choose "Rename"
d. Change the extension from bik to pak and press return
e. Try joining again

**Note** Make a copy of this file and keep it in a safe place before renaming the extension

**Links for missing files**

d3dx9_37.dll file
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...shtml?d3dx9_37

d3dx10_37.dll file
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...html?d3dx10_37

DirectX Redistributable 9.0c
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-3545.html

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (dxwebsetup)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

GFX Drivers

Nvidia
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

ATI
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

Audio Drivers

Creative Sound Blaster X Fi series
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Creative...load-2018.html

Updated 15/11/08

Last edited by U-z-i Kidding; 11-14-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 AM

U-z-i Kidding is on a distinguished road
FaQ updated today! List updates include:

**NEW** ITEM 8
"Video Files Not Loading On Introduction - Application Hangs/Black Screen"

For those of you who are still having trouble and experiencing a black screen issue during the loading process please try Item 8 on the list above!

Item 2 "Vista Users"
Audio drivers being overwritten when installing

Item 4 "Firewall Info"
Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned

TRTL is on a distinguished road
Can someone make this a sticky?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM

StevieG is on a distinguished road
My brother in law with an Athlon64 X2 on an nForce motherboard and 8800GT graphics card was getting frequent black screen crashes, in both single player and multiplayer. Sometimes a task would be left in the taskbar titled "directx error". He had the latest Nvidia drivers, and the latest directx distribution. We tried lots of fixes without success. Finally we reverted back to an older Nvidia driver (from June, I think) and everything has been working great since.

Hope this is useful to anyone else seeing similar errors.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:23 PM

SoDak is on a distinguished road
Ingame Browser & Join Game Problems

HELP

Anyone reporting problems with the ingame browser and/or joining games?

Whenever my cursor is over an item in the ingame browser I get a ratcheting sound (I also had that with the beta).

Updating my online profile when joining the MP game, updating the server list, or joining a game in the is a problem.

When starting the MP game to many times I get a connection error for the online player profile server.

When trying to update the servers, it will just sit there, tell me it's waiting for the master server, and do nothing. Same for the favorites. I've tried opening ports and I've even turned off the firewall (which I don't like to do) to try and get it to work correctly or at least consistently but to no avail.

Trying to join a game is an effort in futility. It will give me the "bad address" message and then the only thing you can do is exit the game and try again. This may take multiple times trying to join a server before it works, and that's even with the firewall off.

I installed this game on the same machine (AMD64, 4GB ram, onboard sound) as COD4 (which works fine) running XP through a router.

Because that didn't work I installed the game on my new laptop (Intel Duo core, 4GB ram) with Vista running through the same router but wireless. It has the SAME problems!

D-Link 624 wireless router
Homebuilt Win XP connected wired to router
Gateway FX Win Vista connected wireless to router

Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong, what I need to change, or are they in process of a fix?

Frustrated
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Mamba is on a distinguished road
RE:
7. Sound Fix

a. Goto Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > speakers > Advanced tab / Set the default format to 24 Bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)
b. If you have Creative SB X-Fi you need to install the the latest drivers (link at bottom)

---

Some also have problems with the sound not working properly unless the audio hardware acceleration is reduced...in my case from "Full" to "Basic". As this setting won't "stick" between reboots (for moi' at least), I exported the acceleration registry settings before/after and made a batch file to:
Reduce to Basic
Launch the game
Reset to Full

More detail if requested.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
RE:
7. Sound Fix

a. Goto Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > speakers > Advanced tab / Set the default format to 24 Bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)
Mamba,

First, thanks for the quick response.
Second, at first I didn't quite understand how to change to the 24 bit, 48000 Hz (I'm still pretty new to Vista) but I stumbled upon what you were directing me to.

Thanks again. I'll post here on how it works for my Vista machine.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 PM

Talking

>First, thanks for the quick response.

Ummm...I wasn't responding...just adding another possible fix for sound problems as mentioned in the first post.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 AM

No go. That didn't fix it. I've basically narrowed it down to firewall type issues. Tonight I could join on the first try if I had the Vista firewall turned off so there still must be something blocking the game communication.

What ports need to be open for COD WAW to work properly?

TIA
Old 11-26-2008, 11:51 AM

maubo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
My brother in law with an Athlon64 X2 on an nForce motherboard and 8800GT graphics card was getting frequent black screen crashes, in both single player and multiplayer. Sometimes a task would be left in the taskbar titled "directx error". He had the latest Nvidia drivers, and the latest directx distribution. We tried lots of fixes without success. Finally we reverted back to an older Nvidia driver (from June, I think) and everything has been working great since.

Hope this is useful to anyone else seeing similar errors.
I have excactly the same problem!!

I've installed the new NVidia driver (180.48) still not working. They say that this update is a great improvement so what can we do to make this work :confused:
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Does anybody have an address for a forum or email to let them know that there is an issue that is not being resolved (so far as we know)?

I admin a dedicated server running multiple games and trying to admin CODWAW is impossible with these issues without a lot of extra effort and time (which is in short supply).

Any help resolving these issues is appreciated.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM

cheapie
So I finally buy World at War on a Saturday and runs ok on my old video card. But when I received my new 9800GTX+ on Monday it ran ok for 1 day then black screen at every map change. That went on for 2 days before I found the fix Googling, you can't use Nvidia drivers newer than 175.16 for 8000 or newer cards [XP 32bit 175.16 Vista 32bit 175.19]. Immediate fix for me and I hope this helps others.

Last edited by cheapie; 01-01-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Solice is on a distinguished road
Anyone know a fix for the extremely laggy gameplay? I can view the game browser fine, it's when I connect that I get severe lag on the mouse and all controls. It's impossible to play like this and worst of all, when this virus... I mean game, acts up it takes CoD4 along with it.

I've done the following and none of it has worked:
1) Uninstall and reinstall of the game + patch
2) Uninstall and reinstall Nvidia drivers
3) Uninstall and reinstall Creative Labs Audigy 2 drivers
4) Uninstall of Creative Labs Audigy 2 card

Driver cleaners were used and drivers were reloaded in safe mode.

When CoDWaW does this, then CoD4 does this as well. What the hell is going on?

WinVista Ultimate 64bit
Intel C2D 2.13Ghz
6GB DDR2-800

** Just found my boot disk for Acronis True Image, I'll make a backup and then reimage. Amazing that I'm considering a reimage for this damn game. I sincerely hope IW never hands another CoD title to this company ever again.

Last edited by Solice; 01-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

>Anyone know a fix for the extremely laggy gameplay?

Does the Single Player suffer also? If not, what's your lag meter look like when connected to a server ? (/cg_drawlagometer 1) Which Nvidia card do you have?

It's not a problem with the game. Both 4 and WW play very well on my older XP Pro system, and I've read of other Vista 64 owners that have no issue...but they may have higher end hardware.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 PM

Solice is on a distinguished road
Once CoD WaW has these problems, CoD4 will and also Single Player.

I am playing on a 8800GT and never had these problems until I got CoD WaW. It very well could not be the fault of the game, but since I installed this half baked cluster f**k... it's been nothing but issues.

I didn't have any problems with WaW for about a month. Then things just went south from there.

Patch 1.2 had better bring some stability to this game if they want it to surpass CoD4. I almost wish I hadn't bought the game and waited until CoD6 next fall. But I paid for it and, damn it, I'm going to play this game and get my moneys worth!

EDIT: in single player I can see that my FPS is about 10-15... pretty stellar. I've dropped my options lower and to default and it doesn't change, same horrible performance. I've changed as many options as I can hoping to find the magic combo and nothing. I have also disabled my firewall and antivirus and nadda.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz
6GB DDR2-800
8800GT
onboard audio (realtek, set to the options noted above)
WinVista 64 Ultimate

Last edited by Solice; 01-03-2009 at 12:47 AM.