Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
theMechanic has a spectacular aura abouttheMechanic has a spectacular aura about
Lan Mode
and a MP Demo
Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Downloads: 0
MajorWoody is a jewel in the roughMajorWoody is a jewel in the roughMajorWoody is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to MajorWoody
Not storing configs in an asinine location (oh, like, c:\documents and settings\username\my docs\foo\haha\weeeeeeeeee\config!)

All config options should be settable via command line options if desired.

Protocol documentation (rcon, etc) with release.

PS: This page screams for a wiki.

:: www.shrapnet.com ::

**FREE** Webhosting for Modders, PM me for details.

:: The Slaughter House Clan ::
:: Recruiting for BF2, COD4, WoW and OGame ::

:: http://www.tsh-clan.com ::

Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Site Owner

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 118
rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
It's funny, like mentioned above, we took a lot of this for granted and I don't think any of us, in a Million years, think we really had to mention the basics but a game I will leave unnamed left 98% of that out.

- Thanks all, I will be updating and cleaning up the list later today. I also fixed all the broken site links, sorry about that guys/gals.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows
Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 AM

Ghost Dog is on a distinguished road
- ingame RCON menu
- ban on cd-key (not IP)
- store profiles, cfgs, etc,... under the game folder as mentioned above in stead of the my documents folder.
- autodownload for maps/mods, where the user is prompted to initialize the download.
- HTTP integration in loading screens, allowing webpages to be displayed on mapload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtynap View Post
Additions to list:

Server:Allow multiple ports to be used, for both servers and remote connect
I can see where you 're going here but do mind that it can be very annoying for clients to open x number of ports on their router... I suffered a lot from this with servers assigning different ports to their VOIP servers for BF2.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 AM

Downloads: 15
ButchCassidy is on a distinguished road
Fantastic Idea Rudedog

Fully support this and hope the word spreads so many more can bring its attention to developers.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Downloads: 1
The_Comfy_Chair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
It's funny, like mentioned above, we took a lot of this for granted and I don't think any of us, in a Million years, think we really had to mention the basics but a game I will leave unnamed left 98% of that out.

- Thanks all, I will be updating and cleaning up the list later today. I also fixed all the broken site links, sorry about that guys/gals.
lol... probably forgot there is a whole thread with some great thoughts in it right here on FPSADMIN already as well!

http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11377

...all the info compiled for BlackhatAA that EA ignored making the MP Airboring...
Old 10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
OK, guys I'm going to move the first post here and edit the #1 slot so I can sticky this thread on top of the front page.

Originally posted 10/16/2007

I'm personally tired to giving developers and publishers the same information over and over again. When will they listen or take notes! You would have thought they would remember what we've asked for, the last time they asked us.

I've started the "An FPS server guide for Developers" and need your help.
1) I need your input as I'm not the only guy running and or testing FPS game servers. Please stop by this link and read what I have so far. Use this thread to leave comments and suggestions (as well as grammar and spelling mistakes ) and I will make changes as quickly as I can.

2) From now on, when someone, more likely a dev, asks you what you want for server features, simply give them the link to that page. I've enclosed a tinyurl

3) I need everyone's help spreading this around so we can get as much support as possible. If you can, please, link to it from your site as I will be placing everyone name and url on the page (who support it of course).

4) I think these recommendations go far beyond our core games of COD and MOH. So again please try and spread them around to as many FPS sites as possible
If enough devs keep getting pointed back to that page over and over again, they have to take these recommendations seriously.

Thanks for your support, now lets make a difference!

* You do not have to register to offer feedback, use this link (site feedback) to send me your comments and suggestions as well as site info if you wish to be listed and support these ideas.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Site Owner

Today's been a very interesting day. I've had two developers (different companies) ask for a link to the list, thus the reason why I moved the first topic and added it to the front page as a sticky.

A big to those guys, who will remain anonymous.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM

garetjax is on a distinguished road
I would add 64bit support (linux). From my experience owning a server company 64bit counterstrike binaries were the single best thing other than valve's steam tool that allowed gamefiles to be downloaded to the server as well as patches with no gamefiles necesarry.

The 64bit server bins used almost half the cpu of the 32 bit versions for me and they seemed to run a lot smoother. So basically it cut linux gsp costs in half since you could put twice as many servers on a box.

Garet
Old 10-18-2007, 05:52 PM

bullet-worm is on a distinguished road
It is crazy how much of this stuff we players, admins, and modders assume are "duh, of course" items that evidently are not so obvious to FPS developers. It's great to have a single place to point them to.

---

For the in-game browser, it is important to be able to single-out servers in a 'favorites' list. This enables players to make a small, succinct list of servers the player is interested REGARDLESS of filters.

Players should be able to add servers to this Favorites list manually by entering an address, or from the main server browser, and it would be great to have a way to add the server you are currently ON to your favorites list.

---

Players should be able to customize their in-game name at will. A unique, static account name is fine, but there should be a method to allow a player to change his in-game name to something else.

---

For GSPs: Server variables should be settable via the command-line, and those command-line variables should be LOCKED from being changed once the server is up and running. This allows GSPs to lock in items like max players and server passwords.

---

worm
Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Downloads: 12
Ghost-Ryder is on a distinguished road
The funny part of all this is when I played Unreal Tournament with the UE2 engine all that is ask here ,well almost ,was already in use 7 years ago.
Unreal Tournament came with Webadmin,clientside admin,UnrealED for map making and moding , http redirect ect... all came with the game installed.
I could go on and on.
It even had 5 mods already installed.

I think that is a big part why we are expecting stuff like that would be in all new MP game.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Site Owner

exactly Ghost, nothing in the list is ground breaking or "crysis" like.

or some games where simply ahead of their time in support and giving customers what they want

Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 PM

garetjax is on a distinguished road
Another thing worth mentioning is that in 1999 a game was released that had a server that was adjustable as far as the smoothness of play - that game being counterstrike. Only other game that really allows it is source based games. I used to sell different quality servers based on these settings for CS and CSS - a top of the line 12 slot server was $100 a month.

I don't know why but no other game has come out that has a server that can really be tweaked like CS and now source to offer amazingly smooth gameplay. Sure the tweaked servers use more cpu and more bandwidth but the gameplay is noticeably smoother and shots register better.

Garet
Old 11-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
Since the Airborne debacle I, along with the rest of "The Senile Soldiers" have been playing ET:QW. Now say what you like about the game, it's strengths and weakness.

The user experience is great... First off you don't have to have the disk in the drive to start. Sign in and the server browser works! Been playing BF:2 for the last few years, well you know what that was like. The biggest surprise was the "Buddy" system, even clan support too. How simple, your guys are server surfing and click and you can join in with the fun. Heck if the server is full you can wait for a slot to open, and your in.

The server is a cinch to set up. Everything is configurable, possibly too many options for the less experienced. But what I'm trying to say is ET:QW has just about got things as right as I have seen lately...

Microsoft can bite my shiny metal ass, we shall have our own operating system with blackjack and hookers
Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Dirtynap is on a distinguished road
The fact is this list is known to all gamers and common sense if your an online gamer. The dev's should not even have to read this but it seems they do to remind them just what is needed to make a great game online.

IF YOUR A DEV PAY ATTENTION

We here on this site are the hardcore however we represent a massive proportion of the online gaming community, for ever member here their are 1000's if not 10's f thousands that listen. We are the reason consoles ever got online, we are the reason you have a job, we the reason you can push the limits of hardware, we are the reason consoles have to play caught up, we are the reason you can explore your imagination. NEVER EVER FORGET THAT. We are the base your work life depends on, why?

We own PC's and we own consoles, we spend the most on games and we all care about what we love doing just like you do. Just look at the money we have invested in playing games with our friends, many we have never met. We as PC users are the pioneers, the front line, the ultimate in gaming, we know all this and so do you. Just look at the time we have invested to make our online gaming experiences better.

One more thing EA style ranked servers are ****in bullshit. It ****s over the little guy and costs gamers money for no reason what so ever.

I5 2500k @4.987GHz - ATI 6870 @ 950GHz