Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Brink > Brink: General Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 AM

zeroy is on a distinguished road
Brink reviews

Current Reviews on Brink are Brutal, 1UP gives it a D (xbox), Joystiq gives it 2 stars, what the dealio? Anyone got it on PC yet?

Server files Available here by the way:

http://www.splashdamage.com/content/...iles-available
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 AM

Neil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroy View Post
Current Reviews on Brink are Brutal, 1UP gives it a D (xbox), Joystiq gives it 2 stars, what the dealio? Anyone got it on PC yet?

Server files Available here by the way:

http://www.splashdamage.com/content/...iles-available
Well I pre-ordered it last night from Amazon because it was slightly cheaper than Steam lol. Now reviews are saying it is rubbish. However, I tend to not listen to these reviews because a few months down the line they will probably glorify another recycled CoD game. I'll wait and see how this one goes.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Some positive comments over at Bash and Slash forums about the game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2expire
- very slick, movement is great. its nice not to get stuck on stupid stuff ie. cod and BF
- good amount of recoil, AR's bounce alot and have to be bursted, big handguns like revolvers have tons of kick, SMG's are rather wild full auto is possible but alot of recoil compensation is required
- classes are really fun, playing as a medic there is ALWAYS someone to buff or res
- damage is spot on, it takes a bit to kill but not too much, a little bit less then black ops. had several 3+ kills with a single clip
- should be a great game for leagues, so far there hasn't seemed to be alot of random crap
- scoreboard deos not show kills or KDR's just points you've acquired during the map

just some quick impressions, back to the game
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockyitch
born2expire...I second your first impressions.

I still can't seem to connect to too many servers...and as I need sleep, I'll wait for some fixes and hope for the best tomorrow.

The few minutes I managed to play online and the 1/2 hr i played solo (single player) i had the following thoughts/comments

- got many telling me that the game reminded them of RTCW. This is good for the esport crowd.
- the game looks really slick, even though it has cartoonish characters.
- as for the look...imagine taking TF2/ET and overlaying it with a post-apocalpytic set of textures... Things are a bit dark in that ark, but overall i liked the look.
- the game movement is not as sophisticated as CoD's. but I think its fine for a shooter. Again, people are being reminded of TF2, RTCW, ET here. This is definitely not a CoD or a BFBC2.
- skilled head shots rule the roost here. accuracy is everything. lots of recoil mean precise controlled bursts. All you HC BF players will be very frustrated.
- It's an FPS with RTS elements.
- This game is more or less what I've been wanting for a while...the single player is essentially rolled into the MP.
- The game is made by guys who obviously play a lot of FPS. Game controls were intuitive.
- The game will be great for those of you who like to multitask. Lots of coordination needed.
- I like the idea of forced team-work...some like Sanity expressed that they didn't...

Overall..

If you are a competitive player, you probably will like the game. Most of you who are looking for realistic military sims...will give this one a wide berth.

I like it so far. Glad i bought it. My guess is that it will be an esport fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswizzy
I'm liking it so far, reminds me of UT2004. The art style is similar to the fake sports game/cult classic Death throw, I mean come on you can't tell me the security doesn't look the protectors from that game . I was scared when it got compared to TF2, I tried to like TF2 but that game was just awful. I just wish I wasn't so confused the game is overwhelming. I would recommend doing the first mission then starting up on the challenges as they seem to be basically tutorials and they unlock the weapon stuff which can be done in no time I already have everything
Some mixed comments on Steam forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommafia
I knew the reviews would kill this game for the single player part. I'm pretty sure bethesda were the ones pushing SD to talk that part up. SD, splashdamage, are a multiplayer company and I wish there were seperate reviews for the multiplayer.

If you are looking for a good multiplayer, that's nothing like the crap of duty series and has a real fun movement system with rewarding teamplay... You got it here, hands down.

I'm an ex ETQW and WOLF:ET player and I can honestly say This game surpassed my multiplayer expectations. I love the smart system and how it can be used to make the battle more dynamic.

I hope true pc gamers, that came for a multiplayer game, can look at these reviews and LAUGH at how they complain about lack of K/D and how they cant have one class do every objective... I mean really? All these reviewers sound like they want a capture the flag game ala bf2 where the class doesn't matter in order to progress in the map.

Big thumbs up to everyone that's too busy playing the game and enjoying the multiplayer to give a rats ♥♥♥ about the reviews. I'm posting this for the multiplayer lovers out there reading all the negative replies. See you at the Ark Brothars
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_f1sch
I had a lot of fun tonight. I played for about 5 hours.

Given that, I'm a bit jarateed off they "released the game early" with this many bugs. At first I thought they would do this as they were confident it was ready to ship. Now it looks like the game was taking too long and it was over budget and the top level guys decided to say "ship it or lose it."

The game froze on me (not responding) 4 times during those 5 hours. During that time many things do not work: VOIP, Friends joining a private game, crossfire/sli, eyefinity, challenges that aren't solo, and so on.

That's a ton of major bugs on a "launch that came early."

This game has potential, and I definitely had fun but wtf at all the bugs. They obviously knew of them and still decided to ship it. That's lazy, and desperate. I'm disappointed honestly. This could've been a hit launch if they polished it but due to the inability to wait they've probably butchered the game. It's unfortunate really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflquake
dont buy.

this game is another game for casual console kids.

big dissapointment

stick with ET or quake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralrush
This is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced in video games since I started playing about 15 years ago. Never before have I been presented with such a faulty game which not only crashes frequently, but refuses to run at anything higher than ~15 FPS. This game was falsely advertised as a competitive and cooperative shooter, but all I got was a campaign against bots and a multiplayer that requires THREE point blank shotgun headshots to kill someone (yes, we tested it).

I would ask for my money back, but alas we live in a world which now believes it's acceptable to sell a faulty and falsely advertised product.

If you thought about buying this game, don't. That's all you need to know about BRINK.

Note to self: Do not buy into the hype in the future.
Another note: Only pre-order games developed by Blizzard or Valve.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks Neil, very hard to make a judgment with those!! It goes from "its Horrible" to " i like it". Sure doesnt seem to be revolutionary
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks Neil, very hard to make a judgment with those!! It goes from "its Horrible" to " i like it". Sure doesnt seem to be revolutionary
Yeah I agree but I am willing to give it a go.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 AM

soulz2003 is on a distinguished road
Just purchased the game myself. I'll let you guys know how it is.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Busterking is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know how to get servers going on different IPs? Followed the instructions and it doesn't work.

Also, how does an admin log in game?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 PM

soulz2003 is on a distinguished road
Clunky movement.

Clunky menus.

Everything is confusing.

I wish I had waited. At least I held off the pre-order.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Banned

Misnomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally I am loving the gameplay and the design after just about 9 hours of play. If you think movement is too clunky, unlock light body types and you will have more fun. If you think it is not revolutionary, really look into the teamplay roles and some of the upgrade unlocks. It is pretty much TF2 with realistic guns and instead of super jumps for advanced movement you have parkour stuff. Limited usefulness to class types as well.

It beats TF2 because it actually requires all the classes to be there to get the job done. The classes have sub speciality ways of playing them much like BC2 or the later years of TF2. But anyway, to prevent me from writing an essay...a list:

Pros:
  • Art is very pretty.
  • Weapons are brilliantly designed with recoil and damage well thought out.
  • Variety of weapons is incredible.
  • Character design is very deep and for people who like avatar customization it doesn't get better in FPS.
  • Maps have lots of flanking and various routes.
  • Teamwork is rewarded, KDR is not posted and kills are secondary to winning.
  • Tutorial system ties unlocks to actually knowing how the game works.
  • GUI is slick and easy to read.
  • Has a built in gamemode designed to work for competitive play.
  • Unlocking elements are easily accomplished in less than 20 hours of play.
Cons:
  • FOV cvar is bugged and sprinting or crouching undoes it.
  • One map has no sound at all thanks to a bug.
  • Crossfire doesn't work and ATI users are reporting massive performance problems.
  • Maps are a bit claustrophobic and filled with chokepoints for the the objectives themselves despite flanking.
  • Tutorials are not quite deep enough to help people realize everything possible in the game. Parkour tutorial is basically a playground for you to teach yourself. Corner climbing based on wall run and jumps is not obvious.
  • Publics are still a bit thick and complicated maps require people knowing how to use the flanking routes
  • Directional mouse control on the heads up command rose is sometimes hard to control in heat of battle.
  • Unlocking elements are easily accomplished in less than 20 hours of play.
I am sure there is lots more, but I thought that was a decent start. If any of you are still waiting, I say wait for Splash Damage to put out a patch fixing performance, the silent map, and FOV. If those two are fixed this game is just the thing for those who want to like TF2 but can't get past the weird weapons and over the top cartoon style.

Last edited by Misnomer; 05-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 AM

Tubby is on a distinguished road
WOW!! I actually enjoyed playing. i was a little worried after the reviews but it is a good game. Played for about an hour of SP and MP tonight. Overall I am liking what I see. The player movement is really nice. PC version btw?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
I'm holing off, partly because of Homefront, plus I'm away at the mo.

A lot will depend on if the other guys in the clan have picked it up. If I get back and they are playing it then I'll jump in. I loved playing ET:Quake Wars where a lot of these teamwork features come from.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
It beats TF2 because it actually requires all the classes to be there to get the job done.
Im gonna advance that this is going to be a problem on PUB servers. I bought Quake Wars:ET and this very "feature" was the problem that ruined the game. Because specific things were needed to advance the missions and the idiotic nature of a lot of players on PUB servers the rounds were just a shooting match really with rarely an objective done.

I havent played the game so its really just an observation but from reading many reviews on Brink its clear that this is being discussed and marked as a bad point too by several reviewers.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Misnomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Im gonna advance that this is going to be a problem on PUB servers. I bought Quake Wars:ET and this very "feature" was the problem that ruined the game. Because specific things were needed to advance the missions and the idiotic nature of a lot of players on PUB servers the rounds were just a shooting match really with rarely an objective done.

I havent played the game so its really just an observation but from reading many reviews on Brink its clear that this is being discussed and marked as a bad point too by several reviewers.
Well I would agree there. I am worried about this fact. The game has subtle hints when there is a need for other classes to do a job. You actually gain XP and points for going and changing to a class that your team lacks and needs to accomplish something. Unfortunately the way it notifies players is by putting that task in the Objective rose and most people will skip right by it.

There are options in the menus to have the game automatically pick Objectives for you in MP and SP...sadly these are off by default and most of the less experienced players are already running about with no objective a majority of the time.

The objective rose is a great idea on console, but its implementation on PC is just iffy enough by default to make it less useful. Holding middle mouse and then moving your mouse to an objective (which will consequently start turning your character towards the objective) is a bit clunky and doesn't work as well in a fast paced game. I am thinking about assigning it to a keyboard key like the BF2 command rose and seeing how that goes.

All the stuff is there to make the game really force teamwork, the trouble is that a lot of it requires sitting and watching the videos in the game or exploring menus on one's own. The result is that even experienced FPS players like Soulz end up feeling confused because there is too much in the game to just "get" when you sit down.

Last edited by Misnomer; 05-11-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 AM

HellBilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

does the game have a teamdeath match where a lone wolf type game play can be used ?
also i keep hearing that is has VAC but on steam there is no list of VAC support .. even after they updated the brink page with steam achievments .. VAC support is not listed
Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

MaydaX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBilly View Post
also i keep hearing that is has VAC but on steam there is no list of VAC support .. even after they updated the brink page with steam achievments .. VAC support is not listed

Looking at the dedi server exe there is references to it.

Quote:
.\sdnet\Steam\SDNet_Steam.cpp sdNetService_Steam::OnPolicyResponse [SDNET STEAM] Game server SteamID: %llu
[SDNET STEAM] OnPolicyResponse: Not VAC Secure!
[SDNET STEAM] OnPolicyResponse: VAC Secured!

"I swear some rsps should be removed from the trusted provider program for plain stupidity with managing game servers."