Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 PM

Omega* is on a distinguished road
DICE 'afraid' to release Battlefield 3 mod tools

Battlefield developer DICE has explained why it chose not to offer mod tools for last year's Battlefield 3. Speaking during a GDC Europe session this week attended by Gamasutra, DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson said the studio was fearful of the potential implications.

Magnus Troedsson explained that DICE is aware that offering mod tools can help extend the life of a game like Battlefield 3. However, the company decided against it because it was "afraid of all the things that can come with releasing the code," including hacking exploits.

The developer also cited Battlefield 3 being a multiplatform release as a reason it chose not to make public mod tools. Magnus Troedsson said if DICE were to release mod tools, it would want to let console players in, too, and the studio was not prepared to do this.

LINK
Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 AM

Fk. is on a distinguished road
That is about as lame as I have heard. Dude at least man up and tell the truth. Does he really think we are completely stupid? Hacks from mod tools? What planet is he coming from?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 AM

DPGmaximus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DPGmaximus Send a message via MSN to DPGmaximus Send a message via Yahoo to DPGmaximus
So lame! It still amazes me how DICE who pretty much came to be because of mod tools (Desert Combat Mod for BF1942) is against something that pretty much got them started to begin with.

DPG since 2002. Isn't it time to join a more fun organized clan? Apply at thadpg.com
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 AM

MaydaX is on a distinguished road
Wish they would give a valid reason like "we don't have the time and budget to make them" or "the engine requires server farms to compile maps etc". There are much better reasons than "afraid to release them because of hacking exploits" or "they are too complex for the normal user".

If his statement was true then more developers would do the same yet they don't. BF3 is hacked just as much as any other game. CS:GO was just released with public server files and an SDK and the sky never fell. Tripwire has mod tools for RO2 and now working to add it to the steam workshop. Even Black Ops has a form of mod tools and maybe Black Ops 2 will get something too.

I see mod tools and total conversions as a way to test new ideas for free. No time or money required by the developer (except making the tools) and they can see what works and what doesn't. Desert Combat, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Red Orchestra, all mods that lead to some really big games today.

"I swear some rsps should be removed from the trusted provider program for plain stupidity with managing game servers."
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Mr.Ray is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Ray
I agree with all of you. This is pure and simple bullshit on their part. For the longest time companies liked to release the tools for the "other reason" and that reason is that when they needed to hire more people to work for them then they had thousands of potential candidates that were learning the skills required for free. We all know people who are living the dream of working in a developers house because of the thousands of hours that they spent learning and evolving their skills sets.

http://www.mappersunited.com/
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM

MaydaX is on a distinguished road
As for the too complex reason. It never stopped a group of people from making basic mod tools for BC2 using a Plasma backend emulator and leaked server files.

http://i.imgur.com/xEDza.jpg

Mind you it requires a modified client but the fact is they made them on their own.

"I swear some rsps should be removed from the trusted provider program for plain stupidity with managing game servers."
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
The real reason as everyone knows, the community would be releasing:
- The community would release maps quicker
- A good number of community released maps would be better
- And the number one reason, why DICE does not want to release map and mod tools..... The community would not charge for them
I'm fine with Dice wanting to make money on DLC but when you move on to the next engine, or are finished with the DLC. Release the tools, but hey I guess Valve is not afraid of the competition, hacks or community... go figure

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows
Old 08-26-2012, 12:26 PM

DPGmaximus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DPGmaximus Send a message via MSN to DPGmaximus Send a message via Yahoo to DPGmaximus
Rudedog is right. I mean hell they could of released mod tools for BC2 by now.

DPG since 2002. Isn't it time to join a more fun organized clan? Apply at thadpg.com
Old 08-26-2012, 03:11 PM

69thPaladin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
However, the company decided against it because it was "afraid of all the things that can come with releasing the code," including hacking exploits.
Yeah, it's afraid that the life of the game will be extended so people won't want to buy the next version of the same game repackaged.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 PM

LordMaximus is on a distinguished road
All about the money... but then again.. what isn't anymore? I find myself wishing for the old days.. gaming was so much more fun. Mods galore.. administration software from multiple sources.. maps.. realism.. All this new crap.. best way to send a message. Don't buy it.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM

MrBrown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk. View Post
Hacks from mod tools? What planet is he coming from?
Yeah, the security concerns are totally ridiculous, especially after sacrificing pure server-side hit detection in BF3. I heard the alpha still had server side hitreg. So the engine CAN do it. But I guess by switching to client side hitreg they could decrease the server load, so the ranked server providers can now run more servers on the same hardware, which means more profit. Because with client-side hitreg, the server can run with fewer ticks. Who cares if the client-side interpolation is a bit "off" as long as the real hit detection is actually done based on that interpolation...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM

zeroy is on a distinguished road
This is old news.... what i dont understand is why the technical reason mentionned before arent used instead of this BS ...

From what i recall the explanation was two fold:

- DICE did not consider modtools while creating BF3 engine layout and rendering pipeline
- Because of the above, releasing modtools other than very slight changes to the game is technically too challenging for end user to use/render ... etc ...

And I can buy the above. Of course there is also no denying that giving the chance with like a small backdoor, the community could do wonder, as it always does

With that said I think anyone who can see BF3 roadmap with DLC, etc can see that its a little incompatible with modtools. What is a real shame is to not have released unranked server files for the Community to play with....
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
but hey I guess Valve is not afraid of the competition, hacks or community... go figure
There you have it but remember that Valve have gone so far in the mod tools that they are now making money on that too and this is the best of both worlds! Community can submit items, etc and Valve sells them...
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM

woowoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
The real reason as everyone knows, the community would be releasing:
- The community would release maps quicker
- A good number of community released maps would be better
- And the number one reason, why DICE does not want to release map and mod tools..... The community would not charge for them
I'm fine with Dice wanting to make money on DLC but when you move on to the next engine, or are finished with the DLC. Release the tools, but hey I guess Valve is not afraid of the competition, hacks or community... go figure
I've always thought a model that follows Apples for selling apps would work. For each app sold, apple gets a cut and so does its creator. Why not do the same?

Mods / Maps could be released through a community store and both the game maker and the new content creator would get a cut. This would solve both the money problem for the game maker (who is under pressure to sell DLC) and encourage even more community development.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
This would solve both the money problem for the game maker (who is under pressure to sell DLC) and encourage even more community development.
It doesnt suit the model of releasing a new "sequel" of a series every year. Big publishers do not want you to keep playing a game, they want you to fork money on retail then DLC then retail again and so on. EVERY year.