Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
Sorry more Valve news.

While other publishers and developers complain about piracy hurting PC gaming, Valve talks about how supporting a game, offering free content and sales prices helps sell....oh about 3000% more copies
Tonight at the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell gave a keynote speech titled "Entertainment as a Service." For much of the hour, he spoke about the principles that have guided Valve in recent years -- the idea that development on a game like Team Fortress 2 is as-if-not-more important after it goes on sale than before, due the ability to keep customers interested by providing new content, fixing bugs, and adding new ways for them to interact with the game.
Full article and source of the 3000% more copies here at 1UP.

Update and more interesting info from G4.com
Through this perspective, Gabe and Valve have observed the following:
  • 30-year old songs with a little service (Rock Band, Guitar Hero) generate huge profits
  • Pirates are ahead not just on price, but on service
  • DRM appears to increase, not decrease piracy
  • Privacy and transparency
  • Shrinking distance to customer empowers content creators
Steam stats time:
  • 20 million people connected
  • All major PC publishers on board
  • 350+ of the best PC games
  • Worldwide in 21 languages
  • 100% Year-over-year growth since 2004
During the Holiday sales:
  • 10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
  • 25% sale = 245% increase in sales
  • 50% sale = 320% increase in sales
  • 75% sale = 1470% increase in sales
At 75% off, they are making 15% more money than they were at full price. (who would have thunk it? - rudedog)

Gabe on piracy:
Gabe doesn't believe that pirates are really seeking to get things for free. They are people that spend thousands on their PC's and Internet service. He believes that pirates are beating companies on service. He cites TV shows not available in certain parts of the world. Pirates have TV shows up on the Web minutes after they have aired.

6:26 PM - DRM decreases service value for customers. It also makes pirated copies of games look more appealing. Anecdotal evidence appears to suggest that DRM is increasing and not decreasing piracy.
As far as privacy goes, Gabe believes that people are willing to give up system and personal information if they feel it's being used to get a better service. Steam's hardware survey is an example of this. Rather than spying on users for nefarious reasons, Gabe believes things like its hardware survey helps with better sales of products and service. As long as companies are transparent, he feels that customers will accept this.
- Read the full coverage of the keynote at 2009 D.I.C.E. over at G4

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Neil is on a distinguished road
Valve > rest
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
It would appear that we are in danger of creating a Valve love fest!

For those reading these post and are having difficulty understanding why.

Here's the background, on the whole we don't play Valve games, MoH, CoD but not Valve. We spend a lot of time trying to get our servers and games to run the way we want. As such we spend a lot of time bitching about how crap the service we get from the game makers. Then Valve pops up saying this and that about patches and bug fixes. Fixes for game almost ten years old, when we are complaining about getting proper support for games that are new!

We talk about some of the stupid thing the game industry people say. They have an ability to get the wrong end of the stick on almost every topic. That is unless it's a Valve, then they make sense, real sense. Not only from our point of view but also from a business one as well.

Valve just make sense and the rest on the whole don't
Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator Emeritus

OldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I have to jump into the "love fest", too. I just finished importing all my "other" games into my Steam account. Why? Because Steam offers the same update capability for the "others" that they do for their hosted games.

They just do it right...both as a dev AND as a distributor. Try this with the ridiculous EA Downloader...

Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Forum Moderator

Just to test my Valve in love out of love thing, I have been playing some... First I tried the mod Insurgency, due to it's CoD:4 likeness. Not bad, I like the complexity, the iron sight. The quality of the graphics are abysmal but the game play is solid.

Then I tried DoD:S the valve game I played the most. Well DoD was, anyhow it has changed almost out of recognition to the game I use to play. God I was rusty, but it was fun. It might have been the way the server was set up or the choice of custom maps but it felt cartoon like. I loved the one shot kills but there was something missing for me.

Steam of course performed beautiful as normal, finding servers to play on. The game was as you would expect fully patched even though I have not played in months. I had a look at some of the community stuff too updating my profile picture. The friends thingie told me who was online and also told me how long since they had played. I could checkout my stats, and everything.

In conclusion I love Steam, I just don't like the games much...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Well, I have to jump into the "love fest", too. I just finished importing all my "other" games into my Steam account. Why? Because Steam offers the same update capability for the "others" that they do for their hosted games.

They just do it right...both as a dev AND as a distributor. Try this with the ridiculous EA Downloader...

Is it just a case of adding the games "Adding non-steam games to my games list" or is there more to it than that??
Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 PM

xvx is on a distinguished road
I think what really sets Valve apart from anyone else is the Content Delivery System. They don't really need a great amount of testing before they push out a patch. If any other developer pushes out as many patches as Valve everyone would go insane without a CDS. So most developers need to get there patches exactly right the first time around without frustrating users, admins, and GSPs.

I can't count the numerous times Valve has completely borked linux servers after an update, this is where the time of testing there patches comes in. They then take some extra time to iron out the new linux issues, after they break it, then release a new update and we are back in business.

This is all possible due to there CDS, which no other developer has or even is in the works as far as I know. Other developers need to realize this and step there game up and should think about quality and not quantity.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Misnomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSPendragon View Post
Is it just a case of adding the games "Adding non-steam games to my games list" or is there more to it than that??
Well. If you do this chances are it will only create a shortcut in your Steam list. You will not get patches since Steam patches are specially made for the different exectuables they use and your game will still be the retail...and you will not be able to download the game. Unless the publisher allows you to register your CD key with Steam, this is always the case. Of course sometimes this is for the better since making a Steam version of a patch sometimes takes a week after the retail get it.

Unfortunately few games have taken advantage of the Steam update system. On the other hand, UT III did just add itself for full Steam support and F.E.A.R 2 released with required Steam installation for Steamworks features, so there is progress in this area.

On another note.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/955/955405p1.html

This is the full transcript of Gabe Newell's keynote (fair warning, I think it was done in speech-to-text of some form and is pretty horrendous with errors). There are some rather interesting points in there. I am still getting used to the idea of software as a service when it is not referring to paying to play like an MMO. Long bit of text but worth a read.

Last edited by Misnomer; 02-19-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Forum Moderator

I don't think our universal "love in" concerning Valve blinds us to their short comings, no body is perfect.

but they do talk to their customers! I'm sure there are community's out there that have been screaming for a certain "fix" or thing. Whatever, they are not perfect but so much better than everyone else.

I remember the friction when Valve first introduced Steam. The community was screaming blue murder at the time.

we often talk about DRM and the issues of authentication, it's all none too favourable. What is Steam if it's not DRM, not a massive authentication system? Of course it is but we still love it because it serves the customer. It gives more than it takes...

Who would copy a Valve game? I wouldn't, not and lose half the games I own. How easy would it be to download Left4Dead? Just to have a look to see if I want to buy it. No way will I download one of their games. The last game I downloaded to test, a week later I bought. It wasn't a Valve game, I'll wait for them to do one of those free weekends. I'll give it a go and if I like it I'll stump up the cash. you can say the same for cheating, do you want a VAC ban??? No F**&ing way!!!

Other games I own will keep themselves up to date. ET:QW will check and then download, Joint Operations has a separate updater that you can run. So other game makers have come close but most miss the point.

Steam is the whole package!

How great would it be to have my MoH collection download, install and patch? What of the CoD games I own? Battlefield? all of those mods? Modjive almost hit the spot but that's been taken off line.

EA! go have a look at ModJive and give the SIR Community the servers they need!

I remember a Steam rip off called "Vapour" is that one still going? Vapour supported the mod's and did for HL what ModJive did for BF.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Don't forget that Source mods that have been included in SteamWorks: Insurgency, Zombie Panic! Source, Eternal Silence, D.I.P.R.I.P., Dystopia, Synergy, and Age of Chivalry all get automatic updates through Steam. So it is on the way to a mod update.

I for one would love to see support for mods for CryEngine 2 included, but that is sort of up to Crytek.

If you want to look at a competitor go to http://impulsedriven.com/. This is the Stardock product Gabe refers to in the speech. They are very much a competitor to Steam ideologically (whereas Direct 2 Drive and EA downloader are much less direct comeptitors...and Games for Windows Live is just a wannabe for now). Honestly I am waiting for some big name to buy up Xfire and use their services as a competitor for Steam, rather than as a third party tool.

If you read the blogs the developers of Impluse are very honest about their want to compete with Steam and even admitting Steam is superior. The library on Impulse is a bit weak, but it is a sign that Newell is right in suggesting that the service layer of software is becoming a much much bigger part of the sale.

Last edited by Misnomer; 02-19-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Forum Moderator

I have just listened through Gabe's speech, yep listened, cos I got MS text to speech to read it to me. LOL

You might think it's manipulation but it's defiantly a marketing system! These updates, patches, communication is a direct driver of sales and because of Steam they have the figures.

We are being manipulated, we are talking about this now, we have been primed like a pump to talk about this.

Is it a bad thing? Valves manipulation of the customer base to "Big up" Valve? Heck I don't play Valve games but here I am promoting Valve! Damn it's some strong medication. I know I'm doing it but still I'm typeing...

In the end I don't think it's a bad thing just as long as you know!

They release fixes because they know it drives sales. It is easer to patch an old game than it is to make a new map. It is easer to talk to your customers than to people that don't know you. Your customers will promote your product to their friends. A personal recommendation if better than a thousand eyes on a super bowel ad!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

^^I was personally responsible for helping create two Left 4 Dead sales this past weekend. For the reasons listed by Gabe of course. I may have been manipulated, but I have two more people to play co-op with. You are completely right Pendragon.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator Emeritus

OldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSPendragon View Post
Nope, that's it.

My favorite, and to which I'm hopelessly addicted, currently, is Far Cry 2. My other Steam addiction is HL2, and I sit here, hopelessly, waiting for the next episode. This game is the one where, if I have any complaints, I'm the most pissed off. Episodic, they said...small release, but timely, they said ... well, you know the history so far.