Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 PM

xvx is on a distinguished road
Update: AAA Game Producers want your questions!

This is a follow up to AAA Game Producers want your questions! thread.

Well my question was asked, not in full as I would have liked it. Check the original thread for my full question.

Quote:
Sean asks: I would still love to know why dedicated server files are not a priority in online gaming. Aside from iD Software, Epic, DICE and Valve everyone fails terribly in this dept, and it seems that dedicated servers are afterthoughts to most companies.
Here are the Answers:

Quote:

Frank [Rogan, Producer, Realnetworks] : The flip answer is that setting up and maintaining dedicated servers costs real money, and unless you’re an MMO, there’s no ready way to monetize that outlay. The game developers you mention have developed games for which there are usually strong communities that set up their own server playgrounds at no or low cost to the developers. Some of these developers you mention have also branched out to offer their engine technologies as licensable software products, which is a business in its own right, and further defrays and justifies development costs.

Hendrik [Lesser, Managing Director and Executive Producer, Remote Control Productions]: For most “normal” multiplayer games you don’t need dedicated servers. A simple matchmaking is enough. It is the same in more detail then with spectator mode etc.

Harvard [Bonin, Senior Producer at Sony]: I agree with Sean and that’s why we have dedicated servers for Warhawk and/or any project I work on. I suspect it has mostly to do with the expense of setting up servers, maintaining them, etc. There are a lot of costs involved and services behind the scenes to accommodate the player base. Consider the servers, the maintenance personnel, bandwidth, etc. Personally, I prefer a hybrid model where there are dedicated servers and also player servers. That way the game can keep on keeping on long after the publisher and game team have moved to another title. Servers are only the tip of community support. For Warhawk we have released 5 content updates and 3 expansion packs since Fall 2007. Its very important to work with the community after release in order to maintain consumer loyalty.
I am disappointed by these answers, especially not getting one from Robbie Edwards, Senior Producer Red Storm Entertainment / Ubisoft. Ubisoft has many PC multiplayer games so I would have loved to hear there answer. As for the rest of the panel it seems as though it is "politician speak", where the question isn't actually even acknowledged.

I will write up what I think of each of the producers answers in the comments. Let me know what you think about these answers.

Source

Last edited by xvx; 10-17-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:53 PM

xvx is on a distinguished road
Frank's Answer I believe thinks I am suggesting that developers should be hosting there own dedicated servers, ala World of Warcraft. He must have missed the "dedicated server files" part. As a side note, I would like to know what games Realnetworks produces besides RealArcade.

Hendrik's answer about "normal" multiplayer games is just absurd. I consider a normal multiplayer game somewhere I can play with/against my friends, and I am not forced to play with n00bs and twelve year olds screaming racial slurs. I am not sure what kind of game that a matchmaking model fits at all times. "It is the same in more detail then with spectator mode etc." I am not even sure what that means.

Havard's answer I actually like, not just because he agrees with me =). I have Warhawk and its a great multiplayer game on PS3. They have there own dedicated servers they run in datacenters, and you can host your own game with your own rules on your PS3. I would love to see them release dedicated servers to be able to run on PC's and you can connect with PS3's, but that is never going to happen for a console game. But its good to see Sony as the only one to actually get what I asked.