Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Games from Indie Developers > Red Orchestra > Heroes of Stalingrad > HoS: General Discussion

Old 09-23-2011, 05:00 AM

zeroy is on a distinguished road
RO2 SDK Preview avail on request

From John Gibson last night:

Quote:
We have put a "Preview Release" of the RO2 SDK up on Steam. We're calling it a preview release because not all functionality is enabled yet (actually functionality is pretty limited). As such instead of making it available to everyone, we're going to be giving out Steam keys to people that want to give the preview SDK a whirl. We'll give pretty much any one that wants to a key, just be aware that is basically "unsupported" at this point and is for early adopters/people that just can't wait [/COLOR]

So what does it include:

- All of the Unrealscript code for the game
- The Unreal editor

What works:
- You should be able to compile the Unrealscript code and play around with that
- With levels you can open, edit, build, save, and fly around in them

What doesn't work or hasn't been tested:
- Pretty much everything else
- You can't play levels yet. If you start them up in PIE (play in editor) you can fly around in the level, but the editor will crash if you try and spawn by choosing a team. The levels made in the editor won't run within the live build of the game yet either.
- Mutators may or may not work, we haven't tested creating/running them with this SDK yet

System Requirements:
- A really fast quad core machine
- 64 Bit OS and Machine
- 10 Gigs of ram to build some of the larger maps
- A fast video card with lots of ram won't hurt

How you get a key:
- If you are the leader of a mod team, PM Yoshiro and ask him for Steam keys for your team. Let him know how many team members you have
- If you are an individual mapper/modder, just post here that you want a key, and Yoshiro will PM you one soon

Have fun guys, and remember this is a preview build. More functionality will be coming online shortly.
SOURCES

Last edited by zeroy; 09-23-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 AM

I got the SDK and tried a few things, John isnt joking when he talks about huge RAM required for the Stock maps. I have 4Gb and Editor was taking up to 3.2GB RAM just to look around Fallen Fighters map!

Time to get more RAM
Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
RAM is real cheap at the mo, What would have cost for 4GB you can now get 16GB!!!

You can pick up 8GB two stick kits for around 43 quid That's including our outrageous purchase tax of 20% !!! So for around 85 quid you can have 16Gb in four slots. God I wish I was building my PC now!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
RAM is real cheap at the mo, What would have cost for 4GB you can now get 16GB!!!

You can pick up 8GB two stick kits for around 43 quid That's including our outrageous purchase tax of 20% !!! So for around 85 quid you can have 16Gb in four slots. God I wish I was building my PC now!
Thats true.... there is the small matter of Motherboard MAX Ram support however. Its not uncommon for 8GB to be the MAX.

Luckily mine supports 16GB
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

Tally is on a distinguished road
One of the Tripwire devs confirmed that you have to have at least 6 gig of RAM to compile a small-to-medium sized map, and more if you want to make a larger one.

Also, and I don't know if this was a pre-requisite, but I heard that you had to have a 64 bit OS to compile lighting properly.

BTW - you need to change the font color in the OP. Black doesn't work too well on this forum.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 AM

The Executable are all under win64 and only support 64bits machines. I would think that a map could be done with a 4GB RAM machine but compile time and navigation in the editor will be painful and not pretty as Low detail would need to be switched on.

I am doing some Level Design for Rikochet on a similar UE3 Licensed Editor, i can see that 4Gb is really the mimimun required once a Level starts having thousands of assets.

Ram is going cheap these days but not that cheap, 16GB for my system would cost in around 250Euros

Last edited by zeroy; 09-23-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Banned

Tally is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroy View Post
The Executable are all under win64 and only support 64bits machines. I would think that a map could be done with a 4GB RAM machine but compile time and navigation in the editor will be painful and not pretty as Low detail would need to be switched on.

I am doing some Level Design for Rikochet on a similar UE3 Licensed Editor, i can see that 4Gb is really the mimimun required once a Level starts having thousands of assets.

Ram is going cheap these days but not that cheap, 16GB for my system would cost in around 250Euros
You are assuming that the stock UE3 engine is the same as the HOS engine. They are not. And as I said, a DEV from Tripwire said - 6 gig is minimum for small to medium maps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWohnein

I built Pavlov's House on Preview (lowest quality setting, with Production being the highest) and this is what the memory usage was. I'd say you might be able to skate by with 6GB on a low detail, small/medium sized map.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...0&postcount=20

Last edited by Tally; 09-23-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 AM

The RO2 Engine is indeed a modified UDK September 2010.

The unreallightmass.exe is the main process used during the Compile of the levels for lighting. On the Screenshot 4Gb of RAM is in use because the Machine has them available; The Editor shows, as i stated almost 3Gb of RAM. So a Machine with 4GB Ram will be able to run the Editor and Compile Lightmass but it will take Forever if the Level is anything like the Stock Maps in terms of Assets.

I agree 4Gb is very weak and strongly recommend to stick with John's posted requirements @ 6GB minimum.

Note that Lightmass can be run across multiple Workstations to lower the load, using Swarm. I must ask the Dev to make sure Swarm is supported.