Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Medal of Honor > MEDAL of HONOR: SPEARHEAD > MOH:SH Admin Tool Support

Old 06-24-2003, 06:12 PM

rundmc
general complaint about the Spearhead demo program

I understand my Spearhead game is a demo but the dedicated I provide is limited in many ways. Specifically, I want to complain about one main issue. I have a decent Cable modem connection, I feel (of course, the upload speed on it will suck). But this makes the dedicated server really terrible to host when the players are over 10 or something. If the game is supposed to hold up to 32 players, I think the developers could have done a better job to make the server more efficient and letting people host with better pings from users. Compared to CounterStrike, I think Spearhead has too much overhead and keeps the server overexhausted. (I could even download stuff from Kazaa and still have a good connection to the game servers in CounterStrike)

Okay, maybe, I'm just complaining too much. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and I love the realisticness of it all. But, I think it would be more fun with a lot of players (32 players at max) and still have the server be stable enough to host for a decent cable connection (that's what people usually have anyway).

Listen, I don't have the game yet, but was wondering is hosting much more interesting in the retail version? Also, does it resolve some issues I listed above? Otherwise, why bother buying the game??

Just complaining...
Old 06-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Administrator

GaSplat is a glorious beacon of lightGaSplat is a glorious beacon of lightGaSplat is a glorious beacon of lightGaSplat is a glorious beacon of lightGaSplat is a glorious beacon of light
I never try to host the game - and most self hosted games are kind of sucky because of bandwidth or other CPU and memory factors. Given that, Spearhead is a resource HOG. Even machines with great bandwidth can have problems when the headcount exceeds 24. CPU utilization goes through the roof.

Most maps play better with 20 or less, although a couple of the custom maps folks have made can handle larger numbers. I think EA made a design decision to go for quality on a limited number of players, and a business decision to forget about trying to optimize performance - the "let them buy more hardware if they want more players" syndrome. I have seen BF42 with 64 players, but then I also feel like I am playing in a cartoon, which is why I prefer MOH.

And while it may be (and usually is) better on the full version than on a demo, getting the full version will not let you run a 32 player server (and play in the game yourself on the same machine) from your home cable connection. It will give you the abiliity to use more mods and a less buggy product. I don't feel lonely with 6 - 12 per side, but then I wanted a squad level game - not a massive mega-universe. Just a question of what you prefer.