Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Site Owner

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 118
rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
An FPS server guide for developers

An FPS Server guide for developers
It's not rocket science and to be honest, most if not all of these features have been around for some time. However we keep seeing new games released, with a lot of these basic features missing.
Click here to view the list of features we've been asking for since 2001
Please use this thread to leave feedback or be part of the continued discussion on what admins need to run a successful game server.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows

Last edited by rudedog; 10-18-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
xvx is on a distinguished road
From a GSP point of view, being able to specify an external IP to a server instance is crucial. If it can't be done the game won't be offered. Examples: Halo2, MOH:A, and UT3Demo.

-Sean
Gameservers.com
Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Duh, forgot about that one. Will add that later today when I get back home.

Forgot to say welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 PM

xvx is on a distinguished road
Got one more, and its more in reference to UT3 demo. The unique username and password to start every dedicated server needs to go. I understand for ranking and such, but it will seriously hamper large amounts of servers going up quickly at launch.

RudeDog, Thanks. Long time reader, and I felt a need to contribute to this, it's a great idea. Developers need to start listening to the community and especially admins to make there game a success.

-Sean
Gameservers.com
Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Downloads: 7
Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The game needs to support command line switches for its variables.

Never ever force config files to My Documents let alone anywhere else. Default them to a directory within the game files then let the user change the location to his liking if he wishes.

Keep your admin config files clean! In other words, don't use them for system stuff (read unreal dedicated server) as well as admin switchable variables, keep that stuff separate.

Make your RCON system powerful but easy to understand and use. Give the server admin the ability to easily give and revoke RCON power of various levels to other players based on a unique ID.

Ability to specify port. This is useful for running multiple servers from one machine when that machine does not have multiple IP addresses.

Document all of the server variables and RCON features and release that documentation along side the game at release. Don't leave your community to learn this stuff on thier own.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails." William Arthur Ward

Dont forget the 7 pīs...
Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Last edited by Wolverine; 10-16-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Downloads: 1
The_Comfy_Chair is on a distinguished road
Client Side: Ability to access RCON without exiting the game - I need the ability to kick send server admin messages or switch maps or any of that Rcon goodness without exiting the game cause I'm a player too... 8-) I know it's basic , and seems like something not needed to be said, but MOH:A shipped without this.

Server Side: Logfiles... I look in logfiles for what problems are and sadly I find very little information from a lot of games about where the relevant files are... or what some of the custom error code they are using are... or the logging lacks any real detail ... or the logging has no debug / info mode ... I just don't know how some of these developers test their systems without decent logging...
Built-in-support for modding and relevant directory structure for maps, mods , skins etc...
No limits for custom maps library Cod2 had those nasty maps limitations that drove me bananas

Last edited by The_Comfy_Chair; 10-16-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
May I suggest that the final draft should contain less specific requests at first. It's in danger of rambling. Five or six requirements, short and to the point. These five or six items can be expanded with greater detail within the document.

The reason for this is that non technical people will read this. If you want to get your message across you have to keep it simple. Then explain yourself to answer questions that your points raise.

Something like..

1 Dedicated Server software
2 Real time remote control
3 Content delivery system
4 ............
5 ........
6 ....

You get the idea, there are better people at writing than me in the gaming community...

Hit them hard with the simple facts when explain what those points mean.

PS I didn't think that point one would be needed until I bought Airborne...
Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Site Owner

Today's been a very interesting day. I've had two developers (different companies) ask for a link to the list, thus the reason why I moved the first topic and added it to the front page as a sticky.

A big to those guys, who will remain anonymous.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 PM

garetjax is on a distinguished road
I would add 64bit support (linux). From my experience owning a server company 64bit counterstrike binaries were the single best thing other than valve's steam tool that allowed gamefiles to be downloaded to the server as well as patches with no gamefiles necesarry.

The 64bit server bins used almost half the cpu of the 32 bit versions for me and they seemed to run a lot smoother. So basically it cut linux gsp costs in half since you could put twice as many servers on a box.

Garet
Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM

bullet-worm is on a distinguished road
It is crazy how much of this stuff we players, admins, and modders assume are "duh, of course" items that evidently are not so obvious to FPS developers. It's great to have a single place to point them to.

---

For the in-game browser, it is important to be able to single-out servers in a 'favorites' list. This enables players to make a small, succinct list of servers the player is interested REGARDLESS of filters.

Players should be able to add servers to this Favorites list manually by entering an address, or from the main server browser, and it would be great to have a way to add the server you are currently ON to your favorites list.

---

Players should be able to customize their in-game name at will. A unique, static account name is fine, but there should be a method to allow a player to change his in-game name to something else.

---

For GSPs: Server variables should be settable via the command-line, and those command-line variables should be LOCKED from being changed once the server is up and running. This allows GSPs to lock in items like max players and server passwords.

---

worm
Old 10-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Downloads: 12
Ghost-Ryder is on a distinguished road
The funny part of all this is when I played Unreal Tournament with the UE2 engine all that is ask here ,well almost ,was already in use 7 years ago.
Unreal Tournament came with Webadmin,clientside admin,UnrealED for map making and moding , http redirect ect... all came with the game installed.
I could go on and on.
It even had 5 mods already installed.

I think that is a big part why we are expecting stuff like that would be in all new MP game.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Site Owner

exactly Ghost, nothing in the list is ground breaking or "crysis" like.

or some games where simply ahead of their time in support and giving customers what they want

Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Site Owner

Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM

JiiPee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JiiPee
I would like to say something about game server security here.

Server should do all authentication/handshake with client ONLY via TCP, UDP is not an option here. There is too much now going on fake player DoS attacks against <insert game name here> servers.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM

nateandre is on a distinguished road
hey guys can you take nateandre off of the list?

Bye