Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 AM

HarryRag is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HarryRag
A few more weeks on, that trip we know, so yes that's to much, we paid and got shit.

Starting early december with that patch 1.2 was in the works and nearly done.
The rest of the story we know, delayed, delayed, on hols, no QA happened as posted, delayed, delayed.

Whoo that was easy to write.

And then we did get the message that there was no /record in patch 1.2, that is a show stopper for any gaming ladder online.

So if you've been told 3/4th years, it's coming and still have no real date, you still truts these liars on a simple word they say or post, cheese, first see all what have been promissed from day ONE "Linux Bins, fully working modtools and proper gamepatch support"

BTW, gameconfigs you can make a backup of, so what's the deal, just let the server provider change your server to another game, and when the game is decently fixed and alive just switch back and put your config copy back, few secs of work.

=TG= True-Gamers.nl

Last edited by HarryRag; 01-30-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Misnomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Any student of history knows that riots, strikes, and protests during economic hardship bring only the heavy hand. General MacArthur and Napoleon both began their infamous careers marching on groups of protesters demanding the services and benefits they were rightly entitled too.

Not matter how righteous your fury, you must measure the efficacy of the means. This strike is poorly contrived and timed even worse. I would imagine it just means we are colelctively shooting ourselves in the feet, not teaching Activision a lesson. They will stop promising anything and probably deliver even less.

And if you think you are special.... go look at other big releases lately. Left 4 Dead is still waiting for basic CONTENT and server support promised with the game despite numerous patches to fix bugs, Crysis Wars has slowly bled its community to nothingness despite patching because the SDK hhas not been rele4ased like promised, Far Cry 2 despite one big patch because of games bugged state and poor design choices in server handling, Raindbow Six Vegas 2 just LOL, the Battlefield 2/2142 patches promised for end of 2008 and then January are still not out, Battlefield Heroes may or may not come out a year after intended, IW has abandoned COD4....though many would say it is fine as is, they have still abandoned it. The quality of shooters and the patching schemes for them is dismal all over.

I am not saying don't bite the hand that feeds you, I am saying that we need to show them that we will not just scarf down whatever they give to us. Boycott COD 4.2. Start working to get it in the news now. Work your butts off to drive their future stock prices down by showing investment analysts that Activision's old fan base are organizing to prevent sales. Maybe they will care......but there are still console kiddies so I would doubt it.

If anyone has forgotten. There is a modding strike going on too. Look at how that has gotten http:\\ redirect fixed faster............sure.

I still put this boycott up for my clan to vote on...but I will feel no remorse if they vote to stay up.

Last edited by Misnomer; 01-30-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
First off, I don't have a server to remove, still waiting on the Linux bits....

With that said, you don't have to shut down your server no one is forcing anyone to do anything. I do know Mike has received a lot of support from frustrated admins from around the globe thus his stance on a server strike.

I also know that the biggest issues past the Linux bits that we where promised close to shipping and then more info soon, are still MIA.

While I believe in do what you feel is right, I also remember a lot of people making fun and calling names to the people who where going to participate in the COD2 strike. A lot of the same comments where said back then.

TBH, for the first time I truly feel that we, the PC customer are screwed. So saying this will cause the publisher/developer to stop supporting the PC is a little late. If you haven't noticed, we're the customers who don't make them any money thus we get what ever support they have laying around when they feel like it. If that's going to be the case, then please don't release another game on the PC, stick to your money maker, the console, so we don't have to talk about these types of things.

I still love the game but come on, there are way too many issues and silly things that should have been fixed before the game shipped, enough is enough.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows
Old 01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
I guess the server black out means nothing if you can't log on to the master servers...

Anyone else having issues? Hope this does not delete my gaming profile again......

Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Site Owner

OK, maybe it was my own connections, could get to here and twit.tv but I could not get to the master server, CNN, google.....

Stupid ISP

Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

So does anyone want to collect some data to compare the number of servers online and number of players online before and after the strike? Maybe then we will know how far RGN can actually reach.

Yes I know it is a Saturday compared to a Friday. But probably gathering some Prime Time Europe and USA stats today versus tomorrow would be an interesting addition to this debate.

I am not so skilled with Game-monitor otherwise I would do this for everyone. I have some informal numbers for myself anyway.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Site Owner

game monitor is a little strange... I sent them an email asking them how their stats work. Especially the player side of things.

So far when comparing cod 4 via game spy vs game monitor they where off a good bit.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

True. Using the ingame browser doesn't give you much better stats. I jsut looked and found 3,961 servers using the default filters.

I changed it to exclude passworded and empty (since these do not count for the boycott since they don't affect servers most people would play on). I still got 3,961 servers. So I think that count at the top of the page is broken.

That is still something to go by I guess. I will gather numbers again later as Americans get home from work.

Last edited by Misnomer; 01-30-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM

sgTsTuFz is on a distinguished road
regardless of the differences, i'm tracking it once a day at my site

From 7pm CST Thurs 01.29.09

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=codwaw

game-monitor.com

Search Results: 1-30 of 2136

Players: 3,043 / 52,785 (5.76%) Average: 1.42 / 24.71

USA servers only - Search Results: 1-30 of 891

gametracker.com

75 pages with 50 servers per page = 3750 servers

In game server browser - 3932 servers online

//////////////////////////////////////

From 12:30 pm CST Fri 01.30.09

game-monitor.com:

Search Results: 1-30 of 2049
Players: 4,911 / 50,586 (9.71%) Average: 2.40 / 24.69

USA - 853
Germany - 247
UK - 586

gametracker.com:

74 pages of 50 servers each = 3700

USA - 32 pages x 50 = 1600
Germany - 11 pages x 50 = 550
UK - 14 pages x 50 = 700

In game server browser:

Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Number7 is on a distinguished road
Another bug that should be fixed is the one where you become unlinked from a tank when driving over certain obstacles.

It's a bit funny, in a way, but ridiculous just the same
Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 AM

HarryRag is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HarryRag
L@L GM still shows our servers in the list if you seek them, down more then 12 hourz.

so to see the real effect, you need to countdown until feb 2 atleast so the server will be out of the cache of GM

=TG= True-Gamers.nl
Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 AM

U-z-i Kidding is on a distinguished road
Checking GameTracker this morning to see how the German community have supported this action I can confirm the following:

sgTsTuFz posted above there were 11 pages (50 results per page) which I also kept an eye on and as of 09.11am GMT this morning

20 servers - changed their name
42 servers - disappeared from the tracker

Total German Servers now displaying

508 out of 550

Checking GameTracker this morning to see how the UK community have supported this action I can confirm the following:

sgTsTuFz posted above there were 14 pages (50 results per page) which I also kept an eye on and as of 09.31am GMT this morning

2 servers - changed their name
26 servers - disappeared from the tracker

Total UK Servers now displaying

674 out of 700

I shall check this again at 9pm also adding the US figures to give you a chance to get up!

Last edited by U-z-i Kidding; 01-31-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:57 AM

sgTsTuFz is on a distinguished road
yah i shut down our 2 servers .. im in for the haul, cod4 will flourish !

so AcidRain - since you missed out on Cod4, and have terminated your codwaw servers, whatchya gonna play ??

Last edited by sgTsTuFz; 01-31-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Site Owner

interesting Harry,

While I'm still waiting on my a or return email from game monitor, can anyone explain their stats to me?

What does Players X / Y (x%) mean?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 AM

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post

What does Players X / Y (x%) mean?
At first I thought this was a formula but now I think not because when I do the math it does not come out right. I think the (x%) is just the output of X/Y.

X is total number of players online now
Y is total number of available player slots

So X/Y= percent of total slots in use.

Example using the numbers sgTsTuFz gave us for US only.

Players: 3,043 / 52,785 (5.76%) Average: 1.42 / 24.71

X=3,043
Y=52,875

So 3,043/52,875= .05755 or 5.76% of total available player slots in use.

I would say that the averages are players per server and slots per server.

1.42 average players per server and 24.71 average slots per server.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails." William Arthur Ward

Dont forget the 7 pīs...
Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.