Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > FPSadmin News > News

Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Site Owner

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 118
rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
An FPS server guide for developers

An FPS Server guide for developers

It's not rocket science and to be honest, most if not all of these features have been around for some time. However we keep seeing new games released, with a lot of these basic features missing.
Click here to view the list of features we've been asking for since 2001
Please use this thread to leave feedback or be part of the continued discussion on what admins need to run a successful game server.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2016 Games for Windows

Last edited by rudedog; 10-18-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
xvx is on a distinguished road
From a GSP point of view, being able to specify an external IP to a server instance is crucial. If it can't be done the game won't be offered. Examples: Halo2, MOH:A, and UT3Demo.

-Sean
Gameservers.com
Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Site Owner

rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Duh, forgot about that one. Will add that later today when I get back home.

Forgot to say welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 PM

xvx is on a distinguished road
Got one more, and its more in reference to UT3 demo. The unique username and password to start every dedicated server needs to go. I understand for ranking and such, but it will seriously hamper large amounts of servers going up quickly at launch.

RudeDog, Thanks. Long time reader, and I felt a need to contribute to this, it's a great idea. Developers need to start listening to the community and especially admins to make there game a success.

-Sean
Gameservers.com
Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Downloads: 7
Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The game needs to support command line switches for its variables.

Never ever force config files to My Documents let alone anywhere else. Default them to a directory within the game files then let the user change the location to his liking if he wishes.

Keep your admin config files clean! In other words, don't use them for system stuff (read unreal dedicated server) as well as admin switchable variables, keep that stuff separate.

Make your RCON system powerful but easy to understand and use. Give the server admin the ability to easily give and revoke RCON power of various levels to other players based on a unique ID.

Ability to specify port. This is useful for running multiple servers from one machine when that machine does not have multiple IP addresses.

Document all of the server variables and RCON features and release that documentation along side the game at release. Don't leave your community to learn this stuff on thier own.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails." William Arthur Ward

Dont forget the 7 pīs...
Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Last edited by Wolverine; 10-16-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Downloads: 1
The_Comfy_Chair is on a distinguished road
Client Side: Ability to access RCON without exiting the game - I need the ability to kick send server admin messages or switch maps or any of that Rcon goodness without exiting the game cause I'm a player too... 8-) I know it's basic , and seems like something not needed to be said, but MOH:A shipped without this.

Server Side: Logfiles... I look in logfiles for what problems are and sadly I find very little information from a lot of games about where the relevant files are... or what some of the custom error code they are using are... or the logging lacks any real detail ... or the logging has no debug / info mode ... I just don't know how some of these developers test their systems without decent logging...
Built-in-support for modding and relevant directory structure for maps, mods , skins etc...
No limits for custom maps library Cod2 had those nasty maps limitations that drove me bananas

Last edited by The_Comfy_Chair; 10-16-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Pendragon is on a distinguished road
May I suggest that the final draft should contain less specific requests at first. It's in danger of rambling. Five or six requirements, short and to the point. These five or six items can be expanded with greater detail within the document.

The reason for this is that non technical people will read this. If you want to get your message across you have to keep it simple. Then explain yourself to answer questions that your points raise.

Something like..

1 Dedicated Server software
2 Real time remote control
3 Content delivery system
4 ............
5 ........
6 ....

You get the idea, there are better people at writing than me in the gaming community...

Hit them hard with the simple facts when explain what those points mean.

PS I didn't think that point one would be needed until I bought Airborne...
Old 10-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Downloads: 5
theMechanic has a spectacular aura abouttheMechanic has a spectacular aura about
Use my list if need be rude, you prob already are.
Another thing is a general startup server.cfg file, and a list of settings.
perhaps a startup pbsv.cfg file for PB if PB is part of the game.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Site Owner

All good points and it shows how quickly I threw this together.

Thanks guys, updated page.

Understood pendragon. I hope to clean it up a big once we get to a final stage.

again thanks all

Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Site Owner

Seems to be Mike, this months Game Informer has an article regarding the law suite.

Frontlines fuel of war uses the UT engine however the server sided stuff is not know just yet. BTW if you like BF2, like I do you will love this game.

Mike any word on how RO is handleing the upgrade to latest UT engine? Are they running into all these problems?

Old 10-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Site Owner

Frontlines Fuel of War is a BF2 type game but with better graphics. I think these are the guys who did DC for BF. They left EA/Dice right after BF2 was released.
So far the closed demo plays very well, with a hick up here and there but it's a demo asking for feedback so they can fix the game and hopefully release a complete game.

Let's also not forget BIA has been delayed until early 2008, which is another UE3 powered game.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 PM

@(...:.:...)@ is on a distinguished road
I want better support for domain names.

If FPSAdmin had a moh server I want the server browser to show up the address as moh1.fpsadmin.com instead of 243.132.53.214 or whatever ip. Most games will resolve hostnames (eg let you connect to a hostname rather than an ip address), but only display the IP of a server in the client's server browser. The server should be able to tell the master server what it's domain name is when it sends off the rest of the info like it's name, number of players etc etc. Master server could easily do a dns lookup, and confirm the domain name resolves to the same ip as the server communicating the info to the master server.

I'm sure hosting companies would love being able to set their servers addresses as a subdomain of their hostname, eg sv42.ubergamehosting.com or myclan.ubergamehosting.com to get name recognition (server's owner could use their own domain name if they own one ofc). Some server hosts already give you reductions if you agree to keep their website in the server name.

Last edited by @(...:.:...)@; 10-16-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Dirtynap is on a distinguished road
Additions to list:

Server:
Allow IP to be assigned
Allow multiple ports to be used, for both servers and remote connect
Allow A/C to be streamed if it can be
Allow a server name to assigned in config
If ranked allow unranking at will, i.e. keep game fodlers locked but allow addtional folders with FTP access that can be loaded when unranked using cfg, when ranked only load the locked folders.

Admin:
Allow banning and kicking from console
Allow admin to view Id's and player information from console

Game Browser:
Allow favourites to be saved
Display location of server, by country

P.S.: Pinned a topic on our forums linking to the list and encouraging clans etc to add feedback and support it.

For wizz:
Would be cool if they were available in one place for admins to go grab, we get a lot of people asking for good PB configs and we end up sending them all the over the shop to get good tight set ups.

I5 2500k @4.987GHz - ATI 6870 @ 950GHz

Last edited by Dirtynap; 10-16-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM

[ELS]WRX Boy is on a distinguished road
I read through most of this thread and hope these are not repeats. These are just off the top of my head and I may come up with others later. These may seem kind of picky, but if we are putting together a wish list, why not be picky. These are all things that I have had issues with running our servers.

- For ranked type servers with unlocks or upgrades, allow unlocks to be turned on/off for each type or individual unlock (as an example, the stupid K98 stripper clips in Airborne should be included from the get go, thats how the gun was issued, it was not an upgrade at all and it is stupid that they made it one)
- Allow for easy admin adjustments to weapon damage (like in Worm's Powerserver mod for COD2)
- Allow for weapons limits by class or type (to prevent entire teams from spawning with sniper rifles or smg's, etc)
- On/off switches for ambient noises or effects
Old 10-16-2007, 10:39 PM

Downloads: 1
The_Comfy_Chair is on a distinguished road
Support and controls for Clan Matches or competetive Play.

One thing I think is essential for any server for a competetive game is the support for Spectator Slots - ideally free-floating Admin slots for Match-play.

In a perfect world the Server would have full support for the relevant Demos and Screenshots and allow the development of OR include the ability to broadcast video streams. Something like CODTV for the 21st Century would be really nice... E-sports can only grow if there is the ability to broadcast to an audience... Think "Monday Night Call of Duty on E-ESPN !!!

Also the sbility to plug-in a community developed match-play control mod like P.A.M. or the inclusion of something similar with a robust set of options is essential for clans.