Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > BattleField > BattleField 3 > BF3 Remote Admin Tool Support

Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM

PapaCharlie9 is on a distinguished road
Battlefield 4 RCON protocol wish list

I was going to just ask to forward the backlog of wishes for BF3 protocol features to BF4 and reference all the posts by hand, but heck, I'm lazy. Let's get the community to contribute by posting in this thread.

NOTE: It is understood that Kalms and any other DICE employee isn't allowed to talk about unshipped/future products. This is FYI without any feedback expected.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 PM

I'll start:

Add player.onVehicleEnter/player.onVehicleExit events, with vehicle name and (less important) instance number (if there are two F35 jets, I want to know if the player was in #1 or #2, or 0 or 1 as the case may be). Handling of players killed when the vehicle is destroyed is up to you, whatever is easiest -- probably just have the player.onKill events and omit the player.onVehicleExit.

If just having player.onVehicle with a boolean for enter/exit is easier, that's fine too. But having a unique identifier for each vehicle type, analogous to the weapon/damage type in player.onKill, is critical.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM

EBastard is on a distinguished road
All these things were present in BC2, but are missing in BF3.
I would like to see them return in BF4:
  • Players Ping (I still hope this will get into BF3 RCON though )
  • Players Clantag
  • Players Class / Kit Info
  • Player Mute
  • Kills made by vehicle showing the vehicle and not "DEATH"
Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM

courgette is on a distinguished road
I wish I could exec a command to change to a given map|gamemode|#rounds without having to mess with the map rotation list.

Just a simple : admin.loadMap <map_id> <gamemode> <number of rounds>

That way we can have a map rotation list which stays in place and occasionally an admin can decide to load for once a new map without having to mess the mapList up.
After that map rounds are done, I expect the map from index 0 of the mapList to load.
When the server is running such a 'out of the mapList' map, mapList.getMapIndices would respond with [-1, 0]. -1 as the current map is not found in the mapList ; and 0 for the index of the next map to load in the mapList
Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Phil_K is on a distinguished road
Hi.

As this is a wishlist I would wish BF4
  • to have all what we had with BFBC2,
  • but take the mapList and gamemode part from BF-3
  • add coords to player.onSpawn event (helps detect spawn killers)
  • add boolean isInVehicle to player.onSpawn event
  • add boolean isInVehicle to player.onKill event
  • make sure to report every weapon type / in player.onKill / no DEATH grouping / no underslungs projectiles reported as attached weapon
  • add vars.maxJumpInterval <int> or vars.allowContinuousJumping <boolean> to limit bunny-hoppers
  • startup an early information channel to rcon devs. If you need an NDA its okay.
There might be some double to the other posts but that's my wishlist so far.

Greets
Phil.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Radical is on a distinguished road
- vars.maxSquadPlayers - squad max player number configurable by the server. Let the admins decide if they want a squad with, 4, 6 or 8 players.

- Common rose events - so we can create plugins to warn the squad and team. Also, it can be used to translate the messages. A plugin that checks if some enemy flag has no squad attacking can be created as well.

- Lets get rid of the Custom/Normal/Hardcore/Infantry modes specific settings. Makes no sense at all.

One good example, if an admin removes the Killcam setting the server is configured as Custom and server doesn't get populated because of the Quickmatch/Filter standard options. So, please just leave it "as is".
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
- Lets get rid of the Custom/Normal/Hardcore/Infantry modes specific settings. Makes no sense at all.

One good example, if an admin removes the Killcam setting the server is configured as Custom and server doesn't get populated because of the Quickmatch/Filter standard options. So, please just leave it "as is".
The Battlelog categorization is useful, so it's fine to have filters for Infantry Only, Hardcore, etc., but the default filter ought to be all-inclusive. One way to get there is to remove Custom altogether -- everything is Normal, unless it is specifically configured for Quickmatch or Infantry Only or Hardcore.

So rather than get rid of them, make them work without penalizing player communities who want small tweaks to gameplay on their servers.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:47 PM

Radical is on a distinguished road
the issue is defining what is small tweak.

anyway, there are too many classifications... 4, make it only two (normal/hc).

these modes only generates frustration and split the community.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 PM

woowoo is on a distinguished road
Using the example of infantry only - this will show up only if a player sets their filter to IO. Which few realize you are supposed to do - meaning few IO servers ever get traffic.

While I don't expect it to change - I agree normal and HC would be preferred.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Kalms is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your comments everyone.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM

TimSad is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple of realistic requests from me:

1.) The return of Level Specific Variables

These were useful in BF:BC2 and I could have made more use of them in BF3 than I did in BF:BC2. I even created a plugin for Procon that would achieve this but at some point in time after one of the updates, I think it was no longer functional.

2.) The return of onKill coordinates

For me, this would help in such a case as working it into my Procon plugin Server Kills to where it would report something such as the "Longest Kill Distance" and in turn, help to customize a server further and perhaps add to its uniqueness.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Re: in-game coordinates

I would also like to see these. However, the objection to date has been about competitive play, like a pro league. Having that info spoils the competition.

To which I reply: BF ought to have a "competition" mode anyway, where are lot of things change. Like vars.* should be read-only after server start, the only time they can be set is at server start-up. Otherwise the hosting team could jigger the server to give the home team an edge. Likewise, coords would not be reported when the server is in "competition" mode.

And besides, "competition" mode should enable spectator mode.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM

TL;DR
* In general, add more events which signal changes to serverInfo and admin.listPlayers, to insure that we keep our data models in sync with the game server. Specifically:

* Please add a player.onReadyToPlay <soldier name: string> <soldier info: player info block> event for the state transition from player.onPlayerAuthenticated into the state of being ready to spawn for the first time.

* Please add a server.onScoresChanged <scores: team scores> event.

* Please add a server.onRoundStart <start-of-round soldier info: player info block> event for the state transition from swapping teams after server.onLevelLoaded to the state where players may now spawn into the new round.

DETAILS

It's next to impossible to keep a data model in sync with the game server state, with respect to the list of active (may spawn) players and team scores/tickets. There aren't enough events to notify us when key data structures change, like the list of players, particularly around joining players. This forces us to spam serverInfo and admin.listPlayer requests at the server to keep up to date. With a few key event additions, we can be much more efficient in making these requests, or perhaps eliminate the need to poll the server at all.

The state transitions of a player joining the server are the most problematic. The player.onJoin and player.onAuthenticated are fine (though it would be good for the docs to say what order those are expected to arrive in), but after player.onAuthenticated there's no event that indicates that a player has been added to the admin.listPlayers list and/or when the player may first spawn. Ideally those should happen at the same time, which means only one event would be needed.

I had assumed that a player would appear in the admin.listPlayer results after player.onAuthenticated, but that is not true. It's not clear when a player actually appears in admin.listPlayer, it's not reliable until after the first spawn of the player. Adding a new player.onReadyToPlay event at the point when they are added to the admin.listPlayer result would be ideal.

There also aren't enough events to signal changes to score/tickets. There's almost enough with onKill, but that doesn't include team score events like capping a flag in some game modes. Reviving also messes up ticket data modelling based solely on onKill events. Just a generic server.onScoreChanged <scores: team scores> would be good.

Please add additional events that clearly represent game server state transitions. In particular, BF3 is missing an event that indicates that players may now spawn, the real start of a round. All we get in BF3 is server.onLevelLoaded, which happens long before players can spawn, then an indeterminate number of player.onTeamChange events (with no way of knowing when those are done, since we don't know how many players are still in the server unless we poll with a serverInfo request, which introduces a race condition), then the first player spawns after the true start of the round.

There are additional states suggested by the vars.*, like warm-up and lock-down, but there are no events indicating the beginning or end of those periods. Please consider adding events for those transitions also, though those are less important.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM

JogDiveZero is on a distinguished road
PapaCharlie - ACK!!!

A simple command response packet (including command,value,state,flags,etc..) to every client connection would be the greatest thing ever to keep all connected clients in sync without polling. This combined with the old BFBC2 functionality would be the goal for all.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM

TimSad is on a distinguished road
I've got 2 more event requests for the BF4 RCon protocol that somewhat go hand-in-hand...

1.) A revive event so that we know when one has been revived.

2.) An event for when the "man down time" has expired.