Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > BattleField > BattleField 3 > BF3 Remote Admin Tool Support

Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM

buttscratcher is on a distinguished road
What Causes Player Location To Show as NA?

This one is probably for the guys that build procon plug-ins. Although it may be a Origin problem.

Seeing that there was no traditional high ping kick for Bf3, I set up the country selector plug in and added the excluded countries. That worked pretty good for a while, then I started getting several high pingers ingame.

I went to procon to check the high ping players, and their location was shown as "NA".

Being unable to babysit the server 24/7 and watch for high pingers, I added 'NA' to my excluded countries list.

This solution was fine until recently. One of our members that previously had no problem connecting to the server now is being seen as located in NA, and unable to join.

I suppose the question is- What causes someones location to be seen by Origin (or procon, not sure which is causing this problem) as NA?

Need to figure out a solution that allows the members location to be properly read so he is not excluded. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM

woowoo is on a distinguished road

There is a big thread on this topic on the procon forums. I will try to find it.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Kalms is on a distinguished road
Thread here: http://www.phogue.net/forumvb/showth...MOH-BF3/page19

The plugin determines the player's country by taking its IP address and looking it up in MaxMind's GeoIP database. Here's an example of what their GeoIP country database looks like: http://www.maxmind.com/GeoIPCountrySample.csv

Now that database is not 100% correct. If one of your friends has gotten his/hers location changed, then either A) you've updated the GeoIP file from one which has his/hers location correct to another one where the location is incorrect, or B) something has happened so that your friend is on a different IP range (example: the ISP changed something in their backend systems) and now your friend suddenly is on an IP address which was incorrect all along in the GeoIP file.

If you want to confirm this, then: get the IP address of your friend, and look it up in the GeoIP database that you are using. Once you've confirmed that that is indeed the problem, you can either
1) edit the GeoIP file yourself
2) ask the Procon plugin developer to create a 'manual override' feature
3) wait for MaxMind to release a corrected file (this will probably take a long time)
4) ask your friend to somehow get on a different IP range by talking to the ISP (this is not likely to happen)

Note: the GeoIP files come in either binary or text format. If the Procon plugin requires the GeoIP file to be in binary format then it'll be hard to edit it yourself. I don't know of a good solution offhand.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM

buttscratcher is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback and the link.

Seems the problem was eventually sorted on its own. Saw the person on the server last night, and caught up w/ him this morning.

He said after getting frustrated w/ his ISP customer service runaround, he did something w/ his router (reset it maybe?) and he had a new IP afterwards. He then logged back into Origin/Bf3 and joined the server w/out a hitch.

Hopefully if someone else has this issue, they can find this for an ez fix. Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM

wonderwarthog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to wonderwarthog
Can someone please explain why a high ping kick wasn't built into the game?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM

PapaCharlie9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwarthog View Post
Can someone please explain why a high ping kick wasn't built into the game?
It depends on what you are worried about. If you are worried about high ping causing server lag for all players, relax, that's a myth.

If you are worried that players purposely play with high ping in order to be effectively immortal due to rubber-banding and gaming client-side hit detection, that's legit.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM

woowoo is on a distinguished road

Papa - can you explain the myth? I have many times seen increased lag on the server if you have multiple high laggers. Kicking them seems to solve the problem. But maybe it was a coincidence.