Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum--------Guides----

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > BattleField > BattleField 3 > BF3 Remote Admin Tool Support

Old 08-11-2012, 12:45 PM

vecchia is on a distinguished road
Question BattleRCON - The new program to manage the BF3 servers

Hi all,
I'm writing this topic to get some suggestions and comments about my new RCON program to manage the BF3 servers. Based on Qt and C++, it's fully os-indipendent and so it should run on Linux, Windows and MAC. The GUI is based on the Metro UI and it's the simpliest I could do. The program is still in pre-alpha, I started it not too much time ago and I'm working daily on it for a few hours. I hope to have a beta or at least an alpha for September. I'm an ESL player and I love fun too, so I wanted my program to have things for both these "fields".

Features
Based on what I saw when I had my own public server and based on what are the most common features across all the rcon programs I plan to add plugins with a sort of sandbox mode so that malicious people can't stole for example admin passwords, etc. My idea about plugins is to host a sort of web-repository like the procon's one. You should be able to get the latest versions of the plugins automatically. For the competitive field I added an interactive preset menu the options are read from XML files that are downloaded from the tool website and that are regularly updated to reflect the changes of the config options for the presets. This means that I can add a new preset maybe for a new ESL ladder and the tools will automatically download the updated version of the game config and show the new preset in the listbox. Changing the config of the server to reflect a preset is as simple as click on the option of the list: the new config values will be sent to the server and syncronized with the GUI of the tool.

In-game commands
I'm planning to add also the common in-game commands, but this should came in a second moment when a stable version of the program is available. However, the final version should include a full list of commands to execute the most common actions and also to vote to change map, kick a player, etc.

Map list management
To manage the map list on the server I added the ability to simply drag & drop a map to her new position. When dropped, the map is moved to the new index position and the map list will be syncronized with the server resulting in real-time actions. Submenus appears clicking on some icons of the application bar to allow rapid actions like end round, go to the selected map, etc. The left side of the map tab has also the list of all available maps with infos like game modes supported by each map and the map pack which they belongs to.

Actual status of the tool
Actually the tool is able to manage all the config options of the server, to read the game-specific configs from the XML (presets, maps, etc), to save application settings to an XML file and read them back, it's alredy integrated with wyUpdate, a freeware C# based updater (it's the only C# thing of the tool), it's able to get real-time info of the servers at which is connected to and it's able to log all the network stream (commands/events sent and received) and send raw commands to the server. There are a lot of things to do but I would like to get suggestions and comments about what you truly think of my program. It has a bad GUI, it's perfect, every comment is accepted. I want to build this tool based on the feedback on the users and this forum is the best point to start from. Below I attached some screenshots of some tabs of the tool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	presets.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	343   Click image for larger version

Name:	options_2.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	344   Click image for larger version

Name:	options.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	345   Click image for larger version

Name:	maplist.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	346  

Last edited by vecchia; 08-13-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM

anyone interested in giving me opinions and suggestions?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 AM

courgette is on a distinguished road
Hi Vecchia,

I don't know if others have the same reaction as I do, but look at your post...
It is a huge block of text that I don't want to start reading. You should space it, add titles, sections, or whatever that makes that text easier to read.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by courgette; 08-14-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 AM

edited, is now better to read?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 AM

courgette is on a distinguished road
That's better indeed

I like the sandbox idea for the plugins.
I suggest you implement the in-game commands as a plugin.

Also, to make such a project succesful, it is important to make a good communication with the 3 target groups with are :
  • game admins (users)
  • plugin developers
  • core developers

A website with a page dedicated for each of these groups is a start
Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 AM

thank you for the time spent in reading my post, I appreciate it! As you said it's important to make a good communication with all the users/devs that will use the tool and this is my priority. I want to build my tool on the top of the comments/suggestions of all, so this is why I'm here asking for help I really hope that now that the first post is more readable I will get more answers