Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum----Gallery----Guides----Downloads

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Call of Duty > Call of Duty 2 > CoD2 General server support

Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Lude is on a distinguished road
Im having a problem setting up my redirect downloads. I did all the steps above, And it shows the site its about to download from (my website) But then is says failed to get download or whatever. I contacted my server provider and they said its something about MIME types? And that .IWD is not a standard MIME type and thus the web server does not know how to handle it. What the hell is a MIME type??:confused:

Thanks. Lude
Old 05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Downloads: 5
OldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of light
Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions...its the type of files that can be handled by a web, or mail, server. Your web server provider needs to add .IWD as a MIME type. They shouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 PM

Butch is on a distinguished road
My Redirects are working. But unlike UO when you join the server all the maps I have must be downloaded before you can play. If I have 6 custom maps all are downloaded instead of just the map playing as my UO redirects work.

Have I missed something here???

I have joined other servers and am forced to DL an arms length of map names.

Is there a fix or is this just another problem that Activison has left us with??

Thanks, Butch
Old 05-25-2006, 07:53 PM

xGrunt is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I've been frustrated about this as well. I'm not aware of a fix but would be interested if anyone has any ideas.
COD2 Public Server 70.84.83.205:28960
Old 05-25-2006, 08:52 PM

Tex is on a distinguished road
Yikes

I know when I surf around looking for servers to play in, I won't stick around for monster downloads lol. If it is a server that my friends play on or another clan server I like I will go through all that. I find myself cleaning out the files I have downloaded, if I now I won't be going back to a server or if the server has already moved on to other mods and maps. It is so nice to jump into a server that has maybe on or two maps tops to download. Then they change them out in a couple of weeks. 16K if I am not mistaken is the limit, and I have no clue why they would cap that. That is where a lot of the fun is, and they have cut it down! Help us already IW lift the cap!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 PM

Thats what I told my Clan I would do. I load only 3 maps everyother week and if the map sucks I will delete it. This helps some with the long downloads.

Butch
Old 06-18-2006, 07:01 PM

Can anyone get this to work where the only file downloaded is the one running on the server when you sign on?????

Still am stuck with multiple downloads!!

I know this stops others from joining my server.

Butch
Old 07-18-2006, 11:24 AM

Avocent is on a distinguished road
I prefer using fs_game switches, to keep the installation "clean", especially if you are using/trying more then one mod.
How do I create a redirect site (structure) if using fs_game switches. All maps ends up in /main as its regardless of mod and mod files in the <mod folder> of course. If I point the root of the redirect out in the settings, will it fetch the files from the matching folder then?
Ex. gamer connects, downloads one map from /main folder and mod files from /modfolder?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:22 PM

SpamCan is on a distinguished road
Bump....

Still looking for the solution to piecemeal downloading.. D/L only the next map in rotation via AWE modded server/control.

Anybody?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 AM

BOSBASSMASTER is on a distinguished road
i have the custom maps in a ftp folder in are web site how do i go about getting them to the server for http
Old 01-23-2007, 04:03 PM

robert is on a distinguished road
What about reading the first post in this thread?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Downloads: 5
OldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of lightOldDog is a glorious beacon of light
That's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it...

Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 AM

genuvine is on a distinguished road
Some guys don't deserve the title "administrator"

You have to read for yourself.

robertje's excellent post explains everything.

Nothing more to say than rtfm -.-

http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showth...t=10141&page=3

Last post

Sorry guys
Our CoD2 Server: 81.95.0.246:28960

Last edited by genuvine; 01-24-2007 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:25 PM

SpamCan is on a distinguished road
Piecemeal/on-the-fly map downloading

LOL...

BTW, to answer my own post/reply, I found out how to do piecemeal d/l's.... Someone else's idea, but I thought I should add it here b/c its so close to on-topic.

In simple form....

1. Create a new folder, called z_soundalises_csv

2. Create a folder inside that called soundaliases

3. Open up EACH mp_mapname file (using winzip) and look for a mp_[mapname].csv file... located in a subfolder named soundaliases...

4. COPY each map's .csv file from EACH map (IWD) file that you deploy..... INTO your new folder.... i.e.:

C:\z_soundalises_csv\ soundaliases\

5. Zip the z_soundalises_csv folder....

6. Rename your new z_soundalises_csv.zip file: "z_soundalises_csv.iwd"

7. Copy it to your c:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 2\main folder (on the SERVER)

8. Restart server......

9. The net effect here is that players only download the z_soundalises_csv.iwd file and the current custom map files.

TIP: I maintain the used folder structure and .csv files, for bulding up a database of maps so I dont have to re-do this very often... Just change the map sv_maprotation cvar and Voila!

Note: THIS tactic DRASTICALLY reduced download map-server and bandwidth overrage issues, when running a popular server like the one I recently setup, *{PotW}*MixedMaps. NOTE: No other MODS run on this server except custom maps.

Not to give a shameless plug here (its usually full with 36 slots anyway), but for those who want to see the solution in action.... (Server IP and info here: http://www.potw-clan.us)

For a copy of MY file used on the above mentioned server: http://www.terratrucks.com/COD2/main/z_svr_csv.iwd. Note that its name is different than suggested. I suggested a different filename to help you understand and recognize the purpose of the file. Feel free to open, reverse engineer, rename, tweak, modify, etc., at will. I wish someone else gave me a headstart!

Hope this helps those who need it!

Last edited by SpamCan; 01-24-2007 at 08:35 PM.