Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum----Gallery----Guides----Downloads

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Call of Duty > Call of Duty 2 > CoD2 General server support

Old 05-13-2006, 02:24 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
BloodyDream
Smile

yes, tried since last post and found out the hard way. Looks like you can only run about 5 or 6 customs before you start getting errors. I'm gonna try a map pack tomorrow and see how that goes.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:19 AM

payableondeath is on a distinguished road
thats due to a limit in the Iwn sum/name dvars hope they fix it in the next patch (thats if they do one lol)

putting all your maps in to a map pack should make it work fine with more maps

[DOGS] {UK} Team Site

[DOGS] {UK} COD4 Server - 78.110.160.73:28960

Old 06-21-2006, 05:03 AM

[Dead*Prez]Hamburger is on a distinguished road
Correct, there is a limit of 4 extra .iwd files. Use packscape and drag and drop all the files into one of the map .iwd folders that shows up in the packscape program, then rename the new file "yourclan_mappack01"

I limit each pack to about 50 megs for no perticular reason.

As for the fs_game:

I had half my clan not able to load our new custom server because of exactly this problem, and had many public players connect and after downloading the maps get disconnected for the same errors. Some other server admins are running mods in the main folder and they were causing a conflict. PLEASE use game folders for each of your servers becuase not only are you messing up how your server runs, but anybody who has connected to your server in the past may now not be able to use other servers. And if they are not tech savy, they will not be able to figure out what the problem is.

The procedure has been explained enough, so I was just adding my frustrating story to the pot.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:51 AM

genuvine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Dead*Prez]Hamburger
Correct, there is a limit of 4 extra .iwd files.
Sorry, not correct. The IWD Sum Mismatch problem is caused by the server info_string.
worm, the creator of the pam mod, has investigated to that problem and you can review his results here:
iwd Sum/mismatch Revealed, An in-depth study http://www.wormsworld.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=954
or here: http://www.iwnation.com/Forums/index...howtopic=24147

Once again we all have to say a big thanks to worm for his magnificent work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Dead*Prez]Hamburger
I had half my clan not able to load our new custom server because of
exactly this problem, and had many public players connect and after
downloading the maps get disconnected for the same errors. Some
other server admins are running mods in the main folder and they
were causing a conflict. PLEASE use game folders for each of your
servers becuase not only are you messing up how your server runs,
but anybody who has connected to your server in the past may now not
be able to use other servers. And if they are not tech savy, they
will not be able to figure out what the problem is.
Absolutly correct. Nothing more to say.

I recommend every admin to create his own, unique mod folder using fs_game for all mods and mappacks. this technique decreases highly mod/map load errors because your files don't interfere with others from other servers. I put all my maps into the fs_game (current 20) and i don't have any load errors. the only barrier is the info_string (mentioned above)

i hope my post will help you.

greets, genuvine
Old 08-06-2006, 12:57 AM

battlereadybuddha is on a distinguished road
I cannot get the command line to work. My server provider, the same one as in your banner, if that helps, 'does not support changing file permissions', when I go to add that in my ftp. I have read the other posts, and that talks about adding 'C:/Program Files/Activision/Call of Duty 2/CoD2MP_s.exe +fs_game <mod name>' but thats what it says when I right-click>Properties. Help please?

[Sorry if I am a noob at this, this is my first time with a server... I have already set up my http redirect, hopefully, correctly, so I just need to get this functioning on my server, and thats it... <mod name> would be 'awe3nag', and I have those file names set up already. Thanks!]

*EDIT* I contacted my provider, they helped me out.

Last edited by battlereadybuddha; 08-06-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:31 PM

[5W-SS]Dion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I recommend every admin to create his own, unique mod folder using fs_game for all mods and mappacks. this technique decreases highly mod/map load errors because your files don't interfere with others from other servers. I put all my maps into the fs_game (current 20) and i don't have any load errors. the only barrier is the info_string (mentioned above)
Genuvine,
You say you put your custom maps into your mod folder and use fs_game to set the folder. How do you get the server to see the maps in there??

I have a mod folder set up and everything is working great, but when I put the custom maps in that folder the server doesn't show them as available.

Is there something special I have to do to get them noticed by the server?? Any special command on setting the map rotation? Do they need to be in a "main" folder within the mod folder??

This would really be great because there are some custom map files from another server that conflict with custom maps on my server.

Thanks for any help!

Merry Christmas,
Dion
Old 12-25-2006, 07:36 AM

Scrapie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Scrapie
i will give u an example of starting line of one of my servers

./cod2_lnxded +set fs_game plastik +set fs_homepath "/home/codservers/server/plastik/logs" +set fs_basepath "/home/codservers/server/" +set net_ip 82.102.8.25 +set net_port 28010 +set dedicated 2 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +exec server.cfg

+set fs_game plastik -> set the name of the mod folder
+set fs_homepath "/home/codservers/server/plastik/logs" -> logs and pb config folder
+set fs_basepath "/home/codservers/server/" -> default folder where is the fs_game folder
Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 AM

[5W-SS]Dion is on a distinguished road
Thanks Scrapie,
I am running a mod file and it works great. I was able to put the custom maps in there and the server will see them and play them. yay!

Now the problem I'm having is that the client doesn't automatically download the custom maps (redirect) when they are located in the mod folder.

They download the mod file - which is in the mod folder - just fine. But all they get is "unable to load file" when trying to join. My redirect setup is all working fine as long as the custom maps are in the "main" folder in my redirect.

Right now I am putting the custom maps in the "main" folder of the redirect so the public will download them, but all clan members are manually moving the files to the mod folder on their local hard drive. When they do that everything works fine...but it is a pain.

Is there something special I need to do to get those custom maps to download (redirect) from the mod folder?

Here is my config string:
Quote:
./cod2_lnxdeddiontkdg +set dedicated 2 +set ttycon 0 +set net_ip 72.5.249.35 +set net_port 28960 +set com_hunkmegs 128 +set sv_maxclients 24 +set logfile 3 +set fs_basepath /home/diontkdg/cod2 +set fs_homepath /home/diontkdg/cod2 +set sv_pure 0 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +set fs_game FWSS +set +exec server.cfg +exec
From other research in the forums I've found a couple other fs_ commands ...does anyone ever use this...not sure what it does??

fs_ignorelocalized "0"

Merry Christmas!
Dion

Last edited by [5W-SS]Dion; 12-26-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:49 AM

Scrapie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Scrapie
first of all, put:

./cod2_lnxdeddiontkdg +set fs_game FWSS +set fs_homepath /home/diontkdg/cod2 +set fs_basepath /home/diontkdg/cod2 and after put all others commands

in order to use the redirect option put in your config this:

//Direct Download
set sv_allowDownload "1"
set sv_wwwDownload "1"
set sv_wwwBaseURL "http://www.YOURSITE.com/FS_GAME"
set sv_wwwDlDisconnected "1"

in this case it will be: "http://www.YOURSITE.com/FWSS"

uf u dont understand anything because of my english, tell me

another thing... if ur m8s have maps into main folder, they dont need to put them into a folder with your fs_game name
Old 12-28-2006, 01:47 AM

genuvine is on a distinguished road
Once again from start.

Look at your cod2 installation. Top of the tree is the folder with the *.exe files.

main is a subfolder. main has all related gamefiles (iw_00 - iw_xx and all localised_files). Any other *.iwd is NOT an original file from the manufacturer.

The "other" files can interfere with each other.

Now comes +fs_game into the game. CoD will treat this information as location of "main". THIS IS IMPORTANT.

--
Note: with this technique you will gain a "clean" main folder. (you don't need to worry about the original files, cod will take the information from this files automatically - other files will be ignored (they are not from the manufacturer).)
--

Create directly your personal mod folder under the top of the tree with the *.exe files. Copy first all your maps, mods and your individual server config files here.

Upload this folder (with contents) onto your gameserver (NOT IN "main" THERE!!! This is NOT the top of the tree, see above, switch one level higher. If you cant switch a level higher, you can't use fs_game. this can occur at some gameproviders. sorry guys)

Now the redirection.

set sv_allowDownload "1" means allow downloads in general from server
set sv_wwwDownload "1" means allow/use http redirection
set sv_wwwDlDisconnected "1" means disconnect the player from gameserver while downloading yes/no
and:
set sv_wwwBaseURL "http://www.YOURSITE.com/FS_GAME" - your "own" main folder. (this is your folder you have uploaded.)

sv_wwwBaseURL in detail:

log on to your webspace with your ftp client. create a folder e.g. cod2. Now you have your_website_url/cod2 as an adress.

set sv_wwwBaseURL "your_website_url/cod2"

Now CoD2 handle this information in the same way as on your local computer. "your_website_url/cod2" is your (see on top -> top of the tree is the folder with the *.exe files.)

gameserver
|
|-main
|-your_mod_folder

webspace (starting from cod2!!!)
|
|-your_mod_folder

upload your full mod folder under -> cod2 onto your webspace.

Last Step:

You must change or add to your cod-starting script (its a .sh or .bat/cmd file, depends on your os) +fs_game name_of_your_modfolder.

IMPORTANT: If you can't do this you once again can NOT use the fs_game method. Unfortunately this happens very often. Ask your provider for access/rights.

Done.

Restart Server.

Still encountering problems? Start from top.

regards, genuvine
Our CoD2 Server: 81.95.0.246:28960

Last edited by genuvine; 12-28-2006 at 02:23 AM.