Game server admin's helping the community setup and maintain great dedicated game servers.
----Home----Submit News ----Forum----Gallery----Guides----Downloads

Go Back   FPSadmin.com > Guides and Reviews > Reviews

Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Ghost Dog is on a distinguished road
Thx for the write-up ... interesting read.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Downloads: 4
Neil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Saint View Post
If Activision has the eyes to see that the public wants this, why would EA/DICE not bite and just give the public what it wants? Can you imagine the amount of people who do not buy the game because they can't host their own servers for their clans?
There would be a few but they would be out numbered by those who don't run servers and simply play the game. Not that I objective to public files.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Downloads: 11
zeroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There would be a few but they would be out numbered by those who don't run servers and simply play the game. Not that I objective to public files.
It would actually be quite a few - and dont forget that if DICE/EA was to release unranked server files they could have Lan support as well in which case proper competition match + lan parties would be a go.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Site Owner

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 118
rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
We did talk a bit about GSPs and back end server stuff. Things I'm trying to get clarification on what I can and can't say.

With that said, I think we're seeing Dice EA give in a bit and they are now "thinking" about mod tools.

Remember while Dice is the developer, they still have some things controlled above them. - This is the feeling I get when talking to different people from the BF franchise.

My gut tells me we'll not see server files for BF3 - this is just my personal opinion and nothing else. which is sad but welcome to PC gaming in the 21st century

Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 Games for Windows
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Downloads: 3
Tobi54 is on a distinguished road
If it is indeed EA then BF3 might actually benefit from MW3 having server files, while Dice listens and reacts to it's community, sadly EA listens and reacts to bad press and peer preassure. So hope might not be completely lost.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Downloads: 4
Neil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroy View Post
It would actually be quite a few - and dont forget that if DICE/EA was to release unranked server files they could have Lan support as well in which case proper competition match + lan parties would be a go.
Yes quite a few but I doubt they would be the mass majority who buy the game.

One of my mates online used to host an unranked 2142 server for the clan I was in at the time. We mainly used it for practice matches and official matches so I know the benefits that they bring.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Downloads: 6
MaydaX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
My gut tells me we'll not see server files for BF3 - this is just my personal opinion and nothing else.
I've been trying to convince DICE since BC2 but it feels like I'm beating a dead horse now. I gave it one last shot with an email a few weeks ago but I know it won't make a difference.

Lot of good discussions at the EAUK forums over it too.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...onopolism.html

More I see of BF3 overall the more I'm (and other PBBans staff) not looking forward to supporting it. At this point we are hoping MW3 uses PB because CoD4 is one of the best games with PB we support. Seriously it's 2011 and you can't even find or connect to a server using an IP in Battlefield. That's a pain in the ass from a PB streaming point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
which is sad but welcome to PC gaming in the 21st century
No Welcome to PC gaming in the 21st century for Battlefield / EA more like it. Lots of games still release server files, some even release ranked ones.

"I swear some rsps should be removed from the trusted provider program for plain stupidity with managing game servers."

Last edited by MaydaX; 09-01-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Downloads: 7
triphammer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to triphammer Send a message via Skype™ to triphammer
Excellent action report... and as a pc gamer.. I'd like to thank EA/Dice for inviting someone who had the pc community in mind and close to their heart.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Downloads: 6
woowoo is on a distinguished road
Rude -
I didn't participate in the Alpha. I would love to hear your assessment of the game play itself and your feeling on the prospects of this game for both the PC and console community.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Downloads: 1
Misnomer is an unknown quantity at this point
I know you aren't allowed to disclose everything, but I wonder if you got to play with the supposedly new and improved spotting system they announced?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Site Owner

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 118
rudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to beholdrudedog is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to rudedog
Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
Rude -
I didn't participate in the Alpha. I would love to hear your assessment of the game play itself and your feeling on the prospects of this game for both the PC and console community.
It's really hard to tell with only being able to play one map + one game type (even though we did get to play TDM). I will say being able to go prone now brings a whole new level to gameplay and tactics.

Here is one thing where I hated Dice for. When they removed prone from the game. By adding prone back in, you can control the map better (IF YOU PLAY AS A TEAM) which I was able to do in the Alpha. So much I was swearing and throwing things after the Alpha ended and I was back to BFBC2. That in itself made the game so much better for me.

Now I can see people who complain about camping will hate this, because instead of fighting someone with tactics or skill, they will blame them for "prone camping" - please get a life or go play CS:GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I know you aren't allowed to disclose everything, but I wonder if you got to play with the supposedly new and improved spotting system they announced?
Sorry Misnomer, I personally did not. Now it could have been because that along with several other things (like the EAVs and unmanned vehicles) where not supported or my simply frustration trying to get use to a regular keyboard layout - hell I also invert my mouse.

I get so frustrated at these events because I invert my mouse (and most times they don't let you go in and much around with the settings - however they Dice guys where more then happy to let me play - when I finally asked them to change things).

I've started to try and use a standard key layout to help me in this area but TBH I'm getting too damn old for this stuff and like my custom layout. For some reason I don't think they would allow me to bring my DX1 keyboard and a USB key to load the drivers on

Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 Games for Windows