PDA

View Full Version : How to set Max rate

rudedog
02-25-2005, 09:54 PM
To determine the sv_maxrate, use this formula:

# of clients * sv_maxrate * 8(for 8bits) = upload speed or

Upload speed / ( # of clients * 8 ) = sv_maxrate

For example, my cable modem downloads at 2mbit/sec. However, it uploads at 270kbps/sec. So, if I want to run a server that will host 16 clients I need to set my sv_maxrate to 2100 and my formula will look like this:

16 * 2100 * 8 = 268kbps

I would then open the console and type in the following command:

set sv_maxrate "2100"

In the end, you're trying to get the formula to equal your upload capabilities. This can be done by altering either the max clients or the sv_maxrate values.

Follow this formula and your server should run a little better.

Keep in mind that your upload
speed ( the speed in which you send data back to the internet ) can be quit a
bit slower then your download speed ( the speed in which you receive data from the
internet)

You can use one of many speed test
site's on the internet. I would recommend DSLreports.

Not only can you test your upload
speed but there are many other test you can run. They even have some guides to
help you improve your upload and download speeds.

Check them out at http://www.dslreports.com/stest

You can use my online maxrate calculator here (http://www.fpsadmin.com/maxrate), you must have Excel installed on your PC and use IE to view this page.

buddy
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
hi can anyone tell me what to set sv rate to on 28 slot server to try even out the bandwidth the setting is at 25000 would reduceing it to say 12000 make the server less laggy when there is a few high pingers as is the case just now any help please thank you in advance :D

rudedog
02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
We need to know your upload speed to calculate your max rate.

Use one of the links above then post your upload results.

buddy
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
the server is rented and not on my internet connection its just that even tho pings are low you still get lag and i just thought setting it to 12000 would maybe stop this

rudedog
02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
When your on a large piped box like a dedicated server you really should play with the numbers.

However, I would never go below 5000.

With that said, we know the default is usually set to 25000, I would not go below 5000 so I would pick a middle point of say 15000 to start.

If it's running well, then drop it and try 12000 if not then up it to 18000.